PDA

View Full Version : Help feeding Hillstream Loaches

mdjw76
01-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi,

I was after some urgent info. I recently bought 2 Hillstream Loaches (Male and female i think) and im a bit worried by their
lack of eating.

My tank has NO visable algae, but I had read that they eat other food as well (ie Kale, Spinage etc)

My problem is - How do I get floating veg to stay on the bottom of the tank for a Hillstream Loach to "graze" on. I dont have any veg clips nor can I wedge it under a rock. I thought about weighing it down with something but the only thing I could find was a fishing lure, will the paint polute my tank ????

Also, will they eat tiny scraps left over in the tank after feeding the other fish, like flake / frozen daphnia etc.

Any other ideas or tips would be very helpful as I have never seen them eat and Im worried.

Thanks

cocoa_pleco
01-30-2007, 10:57 PM
loaches are bottom feeders, meaning they eat whatever other fish dont want, so yes, theyll eat flakes, veggies, and anything else. But with veggies, make sure you boil em for 10 seconds b4 feeding them!

kimmers318
01-31-2007, 03:00 AM
A simple spoon pierced thru the veg will weight it down to the bottom of the tank. Check to on how likely they might be eating snails if you have snails, I don't remember for sure how "good" they are at snail eating, but that could be the case.
Any fish store will sell bottom feeder tablets, wafers and pellets that will sink right away for your loaches....although watch out...most fish like them also so they will want their fair share.:18:

mdjw76
01-31-2007, 07:30 PM
OK, thanks.

Ill try those methods and report back.

Thanks again.

kes
01-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Hi, welcome! I have a hillstream loach.. I rarely see her eat, she's very shy, but I know that she does cos she's thriving and I had one rock with algae on which she totally stripped! Don't worry about yours too much but make sure you have plenty of good aeration as they love all that thumbs2:

Nautilus291
01-31-2007, 09:41 PM
make sure you have alot of water movement too they love that.