PDA

View Full Version : growth rate of red cherry shrimp?

SamAnthrax
01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
So I have put quite a few red cherry shrimp in my tank more than a month ago and recently I see BABIES!!! Quite a lot in my 5g planted. I was just wondering how fast do they grow?

Right now they are quite small maybe 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch? The seem to be different sizes so I'm guessing there were two batches of them.

Tolley
01-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi SamAnthrax, I can't give you definite answer but seeing as you have no other replies yet. Red cherry shrimp grow pretty fast I would guess 2 months until fully grown. That is just a guess but better than nothing right ? :)

Keep your tank's water quality in excellent condition and you will seriously think they've grown overnight.

SamAnthrax
01-04-2009, 08:58 PM
OK Thanks! I just wanted a rough guess atleast so that helps. I've had no problems with my water quality thus far so I'm not worried *crosses fingers*

korith
01-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Really depends on tank conditions, water quality, what you feed them, variety of food, etc... 2 months sounds about right. In about 3-4 my population went from 20 to well over 100+. Think at any given time there are probably 5-10 berried females.

SamAnthrax
01-04-2009, 09:17 PM
What do you mean by "berried" females?

I have a 5g, Ammonia levels show 0, Nitite and Nitrate are 0 also. Not sure about Ph, and hardness. There are a lot of live plants in there such as java moss, a moss ball, anubias nana, microsword, chain sword, and some type of crypt, and a cardinal plant.

I feed my ember tetras hikari micropellets and I've seen the shrimp pick up a few of them also.

korith
01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
What do you mean by "berried" females?

I have a 5g, Ammonia levels show 0, Nitite and Nitrate are 0 also. Not sure about Ph, and hardness. There are a lot of live plants in there such as java moss, a moss ball, anubias nana, microsword, chain sword, and some type of crypt, and a cardinal plant.

I feed my ember tetras hikari micropellets and I've seen the shrimp pick up a few of them also.

Oh by berried I meant they are carrying eggs that are fertilized. If you look at the first picture on http://planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html That female is "berried", baby shrimp will usually show u about 3 weeks later.

The shrimp are scavengers and will eat anything. Algae wafers are ok too, along with the normal fish food. I feed mine hikari products, since they don't have copper in them. Copper isn't good for shrimp.

Wild Turkey
01-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Really depends on tank conditions, water quality, what you feed them, variety of food, etc... 2 months sounds about right. In about 3-4 my population went from 20 to well over 100+. Think at any given time there are probably 5-10 berried females.

Agree. Theres no definite answer to the question of "how fast?" other than to say that they do grow "fast" for hobby-common aquatic creatures. Probably average for a shrimp. Snails grow quite quickly as well. Basically, they are less complex organisms so its not surprising inverts grow faster.

SamAnthrax
01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I have two females i regularly see in my tank, and quite a few males. I thought when they looked like that that is what it was.