PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into it.

Davered00ss
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Well, I decided to set up a 75g tank I had for a long time again. When I moved into my new house, I found the water to be too hard and not friendly to fish & plants. :( So I threw in some wild fish from a local pond and let it go for years. Crayfish, catfish, largmouth bass, etc.,

I had to take the tank down to have new carpet put in the living room, so I decided to start over.

I took home water from work in 5 gal jugs. About 15gal distilled with a pH of 5.4-5.6 & the rest city water with a pH of 7.0-7.2. I'll check the pH in the lab on monday when I return to work. I hope to see about 6.8.

I used stress coat & let the water run for about 24+ hours. I put in about 10 plants, 6 Neons & 2 guppies. Filter is a wisper 3. Probably going to add another one. Wish I had not thrown out the magnum canister filter and Diatom filter I had in the basement for years.

I'd like to get some dwarf african clawed frogs to live in the tank. I just never seem to have any luck with them. The full size ones grow like crazy and eat the fish. I have 3 in a 10 gal tank now.

Anyway long rant.

Northernguy
01-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the Wonderful AC!
I threw all my stuff out years ago and started up again in the summer.Its a huge loss but Oh Well!
Please download and remember the free E-book on the left.
You will be glad you did!

fishbum
01-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Great that you are getting back into the hobby.Do you know about cycling your filter?What are your plans for a final stock list?

troy
01-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Welcome to AC!

Brookfish
01-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Welcome to AC.thumbs2:

Davered00ss
01-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Yes, I know all about cycling the tank to get the right bacteria/micro-organism population.

I should go into my background a little.

I worked at pet shops in high school. I went to UCONN for Biology. Managed a small chain of pet stores while in college. Worked in the Lab @ Mystic Marinelife Aquarium in Mystic CT Doing water testing as well a blood testing for the mafine mamals, seal rescues along with other things. Also worked closely with the Vet. Even got to assist on surgery on one of our sharks.

Currently I supervise a wastewater treatment plant. We also have a lab staff that does all of our water and wastewater testing. (where I started with the Co.)

Plans for the tank are, heavily planted. (need to adress lighting needs)

Population plan:

Kuhli loach
clown loach
aneus cat or 2
red tail shark
I would like to see a large school of neons
Dwarf African Clawed Frog (never had any luck with them)
A few platties & swordtails.
Possibly an angle I may inherit from a friend's 10 gal tank.

I want to do something different for a filter, but not sure yet what. I have a Penguin I could use as well as the wisper 3, but the penguine is too loud for me.

My spelling sucks, sory. :)

Screen name is the same on all web sites I go to . My main hobby is drag racing my 2000 SS camaro. :)

Crispy
01-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Kuhli loach
clown loach
aneus cat or 2
red tail shark
I would like to see a large school of neons
Dwarf African Clawed Frog (never had any luck with them)
A few platties & swordtails.
Possibly an angle I may inherit from a friend's 10 gal tank.

loaches should be kept in schools of at least 4 or 5 ... they just don't do well on their own. Keep that in mind when planning...

Red
01-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Welcome..
I would start a new thread about stocking your tank and i would gladly help you there since this is just the introducing thread :)

Davered00ss
01-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks, I never knew that about loaches.

I guess I should start another thread, I'm sure I'll have more questions. It's been a while since I did anything with tropical fish.