PDA

View Full Version : Angels and Yellow Labs?

robert18
01-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I have a 65 gal community tank with some 1/2 inch yellow labs in it and I was wondering if I could get some angels to put in the tank, the other fish are just a school of 10 bloodfin tetras, corry cats and a pleco. I have read that yellow labs are very mild tempered chiclids so it seems like this would be okay.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas with this combination?

smaug
01-04-2009, 05:32 PM
I have no experiance with labs but I do with angels.Angels are usually very aggressive when they mature and although labs may be mild mannered ,a cichlid is a cichlid and there could be territorial issues.Hopefully someone with lab experiance will pop in soon.

Northernguy
01-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I agree with smaug!
Cichlids can be mild mannered but always have some kind of aggression issues.I think you should go for it if thats what you want but you may need another tank when they mature and decide that they can't stand each other.
It may also work out.Make sure it is well planted and that they are well fed.

troy
01-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Also labs are hard water fish while angels are soft water fish.

smaug
01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Also labs are hard water fish while angels are soft water fish.
Thats true but they both can do well at a neutral ph.

Red
01-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I would not do it, labs are nippy all the time and they would harass the angels to much..

kaybee
01-04-2009, 06:14 PM
A yellow lab, particular matured males, would become too belligerent, in my opinion.

The yellow labs would display behavior typically subdued when kept with more aggressive mbuna species, but could bring to full bear when kept with more docile tank mates.

Sharon
01-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Agree with Kaybee...Labs are classed as low aggression by Mbuna standards. The Angel wouldn't stand a chance...

Northernguy
01-04-2009, 07:37 PM
It was mentioned starting with young fish so I thought maybe ,there was a slight possability that they could get along for a while!I than suggested that another tank would be neccesary.
Labs are brackish anyway!lol

smaug
01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
It was mentioned starting with young fish so I thought maybe ,there was a slight possability that they could get along for a while!I than suggested that another tank would be neccesary.
Labs are brackish anyway!lol
Labs arent brackish,but they are a hardwater fish.

Northernguy
01-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Labs arent brackish,but they are a hardwater fish.
Thank you!:22:
Thats what I meant but my fingers aren't listening to my brain today!:11:

Fishalicious
01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
i would never mix riftlake cichlids with soft water / sa cichlids of any kind.

you can better look at getting other riftlake cichlids

mac
01-05-2009, 06:43 AM
I agree with the advice given thus far. NG I know the feeling of the fingers not doing what the brains want them to do. I wished they would stop doing it mainly when i am doing maths.

As for the Cichlids I would just stick to Malawi fish with Malawia. Then you have a less chance of different Cichlid varieties like Tanganyikas Cichlids. That way you can help to lesson aggression of different species. Well that is what I have read and studied.

As for the keeping of the labs you will need a nice size tank like you one, although for me I would go more 100 gallons. Then set it up with a large amount of rock work. So that these fish can stake out a claim. Also how many do you have.?

Also do you know your pH?

mac

terrapin24h
02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
i think not only would the labs harass the angels but will the tetras too in time. Labs are very docile for mbuna, but they are still mbuna and will pound any other non mbuna into the ground. In my recent research i read more than one story where someone put a yellow lab or two in a tropical community tank and woke the next morning to a tank of dead or near dead fish. If you would like cichlids in with tropical fish, i think your best best is going to be South American cichlids, like your angels. Some others that might work would be kribensis, and rams(based on my research). I was in the same position you are(same tank size too) and really wanted to add some personality to my tropical tank, but in the end have decided against it because even with "community-compatible" SA cichlids(like the angels) you still run the risk of getting a bruiser that destroys your tank. If you were to get angels, and they were to pair off and breed, things could get ugly, and even the same with rams, iirc. It's tough because they are cool very beautiful fish, but *very* specific and high maint in their needs. gl

--chris

edit: i just read you fish other than tetras, consider them targets as well

MikeinNJ
03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
labs are mild mannered for mbuna cichlids, but they will probably to rough for your other community fish, plus the water chemistry is different labs prefere higher ph, harder water