PDA

View Full Version : Lighting question please

holbritter
01-30-2007, 05:58 PM
It looks like my tank water has a greenish tint to it. I think it's due to all the green plants I have(fake ones) Because I took a glass of water out of it, and it doesn't look the same.
Is there any special light or something that would help with this?

TIA :)

Abbeys_Mom
01-30-2007, 06:25 PM
I think if you get a light that is blueish, not yellow or white, it will look less green. I may be wrong, but I am having the same problem and am going to pick up a new bulb soon. Just a word of advice, buy your bulbs at the hardware store. The ones at the LFS are overpriced and aren't any different.

holbritter
01-30-2007, 11:08 PM
I'll try that this weekend, thanks :)

jeffs99dime
01-31-2007, 12:29 AM
I think if you get a light that is blueish, not yellow or white, it will look less green. I may be wrong, but I am having the same problem and am going to pick up a new bulb soon. Just a word of advice, buy your bulbs at the hardware store. The ones at the LFS are overpriced and aren't any different.

i would recommend a bulb in the 10k range. your algae will look more purple/blue

Drumachine09
01-31-2007, 12:31 AM
Mabye i can shed some light on this subject. (sorry for that one:ezpi_wink1: )
What color is your bulb, wattage?

cocoa_pleco
01-31-2007, 12:55 AM
why not do what incredulous_ed recommends? its a great idea!

keep your light on in the morning for like 4 hours, then shut it off for 3 hours in the afternoon, then start em up until you go to bed, when you shut em off for the night. I guess it keeps algae at bay

Abbeys_Mom
01-31-2007, 01:03 AM
My tank looks yellow/green overall. During the day it looks normal, but in the evening it looks yellow. I know it's the light, I had a "special" fish store grow bulb for plants on it and it looked great. Unfortunately the bulb was 10 years old and broke. I replaced it with another bulb I had from my terrarium, which was a natural colour (to look like sunlight) and that's when my tank started to look funny. I just don't have a hardware store near here and haven't bothered to go and get another bulb.