PDA

View Full Version : Betta enclosure in a 55 G. tank..

Drew 43920
01-04-2009, 10:46 AM
I would like to create an enclosure in my 55 G. tank to keep a Betta I inherited. Right now he is in a 1 G. tank.
Any suggestions ?
A breeding net ?
Drew

Mvjnz
01-04-2009, 10:59 AM
You should give the betta at least 5 G, but preferably bigger. I don't know any 5 G breeder nets, so I would suggest you get a seperate tank for him. At that size they are pretty cheap, and you can get them with filter and heater included.

TazManiac
01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
If you did want to keep him in the same tank then it would be an option to make a divider for the tank giving him atleast 5 gallons.

travie
01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Sounds like a great plan. If you could get or make a tank divider for your tank, then you could just section off one end of the tank for your betta.

s72450
01-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Be careful with this if you divide up the tank. I have a 29g and wanted to do the same. I bought a divider, sectioned off a nice chunk for my little guy and set it all up and then let him get to know his surroundings. Well I watched for about twenty minutes and then started to do some laundry and began to hear this sound.

I went back into the livingroom and notice my blue gouramis throwing themselves against the divider to try and get Helo. He was scared to death, all huddled in a corner of the tank while these big gouramis were charging the divider.

Needless to say I had to take the whole thing down and just ended up getting a small five gallon for Helo.

Now on the other hand, I had to use a breeder to hold another Betta of mine while I was cleaning out his tank. He's used to a heater so I put him inside the breeder and sat it in the 29g tank since it's heated, well he was in there for nearly an hour while I cleaned and the gouramis never even noticed him. I don't know what was so important about Helo that they felt they needed to attack, possibly his color? He's nearly an albino white, but then again the gouramis never bother the albino cories in the 29g so who knows.

Long story short, just be careful and watch to make sure none of your other fish are starting trouble with your divider.

Northernguy
01-04-2009, 05:08 PM
What else is in your tank?
Is there something in the tank that will kill the beta?

Drew 43920
01-05-2009, 07:13 AM
What else is in your tank?
Is there something in the tank that will kill the beta?
I am concerned about 3 Buenos Aires tetras with a bad attitude. I thought I did my profile, I will check.
Drew

Heliwyr
01-11-2009, 07:08 PM
If you decide to section a part off, I think it would be good to make sure the line of sight between the two areas of the tank is blocked. Meaning, make a wall of moss to cover the divider. Or put a bunch of tall plants in the way.

Drew 43920
01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
If you decide to section a part off, I think it would be good to make sure the line of sight between the two areas of the tank is blocked. Meaning, make a wall of moss to cover the divider. Or put a bunch of tall plants in the way.
Good idea..............

ReptileLuver729
01-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Perfect...