PDA

View Full Version : Med resistant strains of Ich?

AuroraAustralis
01-30-2007, 09:51 AM
You know I have wondered a few times if people medicating tanks incorrectly for ich has over time, caused strains of it to evolve that are resistant to the common treatment meds, like what has happened with a lot of antibiotics. The many instances that I have read of people complaining about persistant ich in their tanks even after medicating is what has made me wonder. The last time I had ich in my tank I noticed it did not seem to be totally cured by the meds (it was kept to a minimum at best), even when used exactly as directed. I even suspected the meds were past their expiry date and replaced them with some that had a valid expiry date on them, all to no avail. In the end it took discontinuing the meds altogether and using heat and water changes to treat it effectively :thumb: It fixed it quickly and completely and it is all I would ever use in future. Anyone else had an experience like this where ich meds just didn't work?

kimmers318
01-30-2007, 01:31 PM
I haven't had that experience with ich, but also have not used meds to treat it the 2 times I had to deal with it. Admittedly, the first case was avoidable if I had known better, the 2nd was a purchase knowing it had ich, but willing to Q and treat. I have read alot of accounts of the possibility of ich being resistant and since I haven't had to treat with more than heat, water changes and stress coat I haven't even purchased ich meds.