PDA

View Full Version : Good Food

deadhead324
01-03-2009, 07:51 AM
I have always used Tetra flaked food for my tropical fish and occasionally use Omega One flake food. I also use Hikari frozen and freeze dried brine shrimp and bloodworms. I have always wondered if they were good foods. Are they? If not, what would you recommend?

OscarFan
01-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Thats exactly what I use. Ive had good effects with it to. I guess it helps I cant find any other tropical food.

gm72
01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I recommend you at least try one of the pellet foods such as New Life Spectrum or Hikari. You will find less waste when compared to flake. I use New Life Spectrum Grow formula in particular for my smaller fish.

Fishguy2727
01-03-2009, 01:48 PM
The only food I trust for any of my fish is New Life Spectrum. Even if none of your LFSs carry it, it is worth getting online.

robnepper
01-03-2009, 02:09 PM
I recommend you at least try one of the pellet foods such as New Life Spectrum or Hikari. You will find less waste when compared to flake. I use New Life Spectrum Grow formula in particular for my smaller fish.

The part about less food is really true. I feed NLS.

Shea
01-04-2009, 06:48 AM
I am not an expert by any means but from hours of research on the topic of "Food" if one is going to have a tropical aquarium, a variety is ideal.

A variety not only reduces the fish's chance of becoming "bored" with the 1 type of food but it puts the fish at an advantage of being able to live a longer more healthier life because of the variety in their diet.

I plan on going with a tropical flake and frozen food combo. Why frozen you ask? Foods that have been frozen reduce the risk of disease transfer.

Foods that have been freeze dried have been stripped of some nutritional value therefore it may not give the fish the proper diet/vitamins/minerals it may need.

mac
01-04-2009, 07:05 AM
I have always used Tetra flaked food for my tropical fish and occasionally use Omega One flake food. I also use Hikari frozen and freeze dried brine shrimp and bloodworms. I have always wondered if they were good foods. Are they? If not, what would you recommend?

I have never had luck with the Tetra Flakes. I use JBL foods. They are great. Never had any Gastro Introits since changing over from Tetra flakes.

mac

Fishguy2727
01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
The real goal is a complete and balanced diet. Variety is one way to do that. But now there is at least one food that does this on its own. I know New Life Spectrum does and hopefully there are others that do too, or there will be in the very near future. I tried NLS in a mix and saw no difference. Then I tried it as the exclusive diet and things improved, dramatically. This proved to me that it truly is better than varied diets. And I am far from alone in my experience.

Rue
01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I use Omega One as my dry food. I also use Hikari wafers for my bottom feeders. AND I use frozen and fresh fruits/veggies where appropriate.

atomicjade
01-05-2009, 06:23 PM
I have also wondered what is an optimum diet for my tank... I only have the sample flake packets, but I have bought algae wafers, fly larvae, and freezedried bloodworms. The fly larvae is a huge hit, the tetras and my gourami especially love them... the tetras with dart back and forth bombarding them as they fall, my gourami is a bit slower.. so I hold them for him at the top so he has a chance to eat it! All of the fish enjoy the algae wafers a lot as well, the bloodworms are also liked but the other two are preferred. The flakes, not so much. Is flake food essential? I mean I know that they aren't in their natural settings anymore but they don't exactly eat flakes in the wild...

Northernguy
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Wardley is around the bottom end and I believe Omega is rated as average as well.Hikari and New Life Spectrum are the best.NLS is top of the line food from everything I have read.:22:

Nick89
01-05-2009, 06:46 PM
No ones mention Ocean nutrition... I feed my cichlids the formula one (higher protein than formula 2) marine pellets, ingredients look solid, much comparable to NLS and Omega One, and just as expensive..

MCHRKiller
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I use OSI tropical flakes, and Hikari micro pellets for my small fish as a staple. They also get live brine, Hikari sinking wafers, Hikari Massivore, and frozen mysis....Ill toss some random fresh veggies or seafood in sometimes to.

MrDrums
01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
When I first started fish keeping, I fed the same food every day for a few years. It took me a while to learn that fish like a wide variety of foods. I use the Omega One flakes, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, freeze-dried krill, lettuce, spinach, cucumbers and zucchini - the larger fish will also take pellets from time to time. Have fun and experiment with different foods. They may surprise you with what they will eat.