PDA

View Full Version : Algae problem

handrew
01-03-2009, 04:56 AM
After doing a complete change of the water in my tank a month ago, I have had a large amount of algae growth. The algae that I do not want is black in color and looks like thread or a beard. It began growing only on some Java Fern. I took that piece out along with the rocks it was growing on. I was able to get a lot of new Java Fern from my Dad's tank which is free of this algae. I now am noticing it growing on my Anubis that was previously free of the algae. First, what kind is this and second, how might I get rid of it? I guess it would be nice to know the parameters of my tank. It is a 60 gallon with an average GH of 7.5 and KH of 4.5. The pH has not become completely stable with it shifting from 7.1 to 7.6 but usually staying around 7.4. I have some mopani drift wood in there also. There are about 13 stems of cabomba, 6-7 "clumps" of Java Fern, water sprite both planted and floating, riccia that was about the size of your hand but has fallen apart somewhat, and 3 Anubis. As far as fish, 6 Cardinals, 1 Neon tetra, 4 zebra danios, 1 pictus cat, 4 corys, 1 pleco, 2 raspboras, 5 bst, 4 otocinclus, 4 kulhi looches (I think but never see them), and 1 red tailed shark.