PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on cleaning rocks for new tank

niqolas619
01-29-2007, 10:38 PM
I think this question got buried in the other thread that I started, so I'll ask it here.

All my stuff has from my tank has been sitting in a garage for the entire summer, and now I'm gonna start the tank back up. I'm getting a new tank, so I'm not worried about that, and I've already cleaned out the filters. My question is how to clean the substrate and rocks that I'll be putting back in to my tank? Should I clean these with the 20 to 1 bleach solution, or will the rocks absorb some of this bleach and then leak it out into my tank later?

I put them in my previous tank a little bit ago for a couple of days and noticed a wierd funk forming on them. This was my old tank that was also empty for the summer, but I accidently cracked the center piece when I was trying to remove the rocks to do something with them. This tank had not yet been cycled. Thanks guys.

EDIT: There is something on them, because I could see something forming after they were in the tank for a couple of days.

Abbeys_Mom
01-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Unless there is more then dust and dirt on them, I just clean old rocks and gravel with hot water and a scrub brush. I wouldn't use bleach, just keep rinsing them till they are clean.

cocoa_pleco
01-30-2007, 01:00 AM
yeah, i had old rocks sittin on my carpet for a few months, and decided to use them with my krib and I just hot watered them

jeffs99dime
01-30-2007, 01:01 AM
20 parts water to one part bleach. works wonders. just rinse thoroughly. i've used this method many times in the past and still do. i remember from your other thread your rocks and tank were mold-ridden correct? well, hot water is not going to alleviate the problem in the instance.--jeff

f1oored
01-30-2007, 03:42 AM
If you want to kill everything on the rocks use the bleach method. If you just want them to look clean, hot water should be fine (boiling water will kill also but it's hard to work with).

jeffs99dime
01-30-2007, 03:51 AM
If you want to kill everything on the rocks use the bleach method. If you just want them to look clean, hot water should be fine (boiling water will kill also but it's hard to work with).

yeah. but he has mold on the rocks

Lady Hobbs
01-30-2007, 03:56 AM
Mostly likely the gravel had not dried completely when they were stored and that nasty mold started on them. Others have recommend light bleach and so do I. Rinse very, very well and I'd also rinse again in dechlorinated water.

I hope you will be thinking of setting the tank up again the "fishless cycling" method and save yourself a lot of problems.

niqolas619
01-30-2007, 04:35 AM
I hope you will be thinking of setting the tank up again the "fishless cycling" method and save yourself a lot of problems.

I will surely be doing the fishless cycle. Funny thing - I just moved here to Chicago and went to a LFS I found on the net, and they didn't have water test kits and said this was never necessary. They straight up said to just throw fish in there and everything will be fine. The guy I was talking to said he never heard of cycling a tank!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Incredulous_Ed
01-30-2007, 05:49 AM
I will surely be doing the fishless cycle. Funny thing - I just moved here to Chicago and went to a LFS I found on the net, and they didn't have water test kits and said this was never necessary. They straight up said to just throw fish in there and everything will be fine. The guy I was talking to said he never heard of cycling a tank!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Are you serious?!! don't buy fish from them!

AuroraAustralis
01-30-2007, 09:24 AM
I have to agree with jeffs99dime, 20 to 1 bleach is the only thing that is gonna do the job right. If the rocks are porous they will absorb bleach but sufficent soaking in declorinated water over the course of a week should remove it. Be sure to change the soaking water at least daily and after a week of soaking and rinsing check it. You will know that all the bleach has leached back out and has been completely removed by smelling the rock. If you still smell bleach, soak some more until the smell is completely gone :o)

niqolas619
01-30-2007, 06:18 PM
If the rocks are porous they will absorb bleach but sufficent soaking in declorinated water over the course of a week should remove it. Be sure to change the soaking water at least daily and after a week of soaking and rinsing check it. You will know that all the bleach has leached back out and has been completely removed by smelling the rock. If you still smell bleach, soak some more until the smell is completely gone :o)
:22: Thanks man. I rinsed the rocks pretty good last night and then let them dry out. I smelled them this morning and reaked of bleach. I didn't even think about soaking them over time. I'll do that, now. I can still start cycling my tank now and then add the rocks once they're done smelling like bleach, right?

Abbeys_Mom
01-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Rocks don't affect cycling, so yes, you can add them later.

niqolas619
01-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Rocks don't affect cycling, so yes, you can add them later.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have one other question, then I'll leave you guys alone for a while. How do you dechlorinate your water? I've read the ebook, and I have this stuff called prime that says it "removes cholrine, cloramine, ammonia, detoxifies nitrtie & nitrate provides slime coat". Is this stuff good to get me started? I'll be using my tap water for the tank, if that matters. I'm worried about using this stuff once my tank gets cycled, though, because when I do water changes, this stuff may kill all the nitrates in my tank. Am I wrong about this?

Abbeys_Mom
01-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Chlorine kills that bacteria your tank needs to complete the cycle. You must de-chlorinate your water, even if that means letting it stand overnight. I use AquaPlus by Hagen. Anything that takes the chlorine out it fine.

AuroraAustralis
01-31-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm not convinced a water conditioner that removes ammonia would be the best thing to use (even if fishless cycling). And the detoxifying of nitrite and nitrate may not be good either. I have never used a conditioner like that so can't be 100% sure but it might have an adverse affect on the cycling process. Someone who has used it or knows a bit about that type of conditioner might be able to give the answer here. If it were me I would use something that just removes chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. That's all I use and it works fine and definately won't affect cycling :thumb: