PDA

View Full Version : What the ??? Nitrite problem

lovleeko
01-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Okay so I wait forever for nitrite to show their sorry butts in the tank. I'm talking over a month and then I read .25 yesterday. I'm all excited and then today I check them to make sure they are in check and nothing. no nitrites. I did the test twice yesterday so I know I didn't do it wrong. I did it twice today too because I was a bit shocked by that. I have never had a tank be so flippin difficult to cycle. Thought on nitrites going away. Now the ammonia reads 1

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 12:45 AM
No one knows what could be up with that. I have no ideas:help:

snipesxxx
01-03-2009, 01:08 AM
sorry to hear that. I am still at 0.50. Didn't move any today. I just hope it doesn't go back to 0. If it does I'll probably toss the tank lol. I wish I could help you out but I'm still a newb. Hopefully someone will come soon with suggestions.

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 01:18 AM
I doubt yours will go away or anything. This is nuts. I dont know what is going on in this tank. I'm so tired of dealing with it. IT's a mystery. This has never happened tome before. I can't fathom why it is going on.

Northernguy
01-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Didn't you add some cycled media to your tank in the beginning?

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 01:41 AM

I have none to go around. I did put some in there from the newly cycled big tank but it made ammonia read when I removed it, even though it was just a tiny piece compared to the other big pieces of media in there and when I seen the ammonia in the big tank, I put it back and it went away It was just too soon I think. And now the big tank has ick. Great! So I'm keeping an eye out for it in the little tank that had the media. Nothing so far. I was thinking about adding some salt as a precaution, but there are snails in there so I need to do some research on that. I know I know what a mess right. I couldnt use media from the other tanks because at the moment they are using one piece media in there.

Northernguy
01-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Absolutely NO SALT with snails unless you want to get rid of them.

Sharon
01-03-2009, 01:59 AM
I can't help either, but a friend is having a similiar problem. He can't get his Ammonia to budge after 11days...Sometimes fish keeping can be really frustrating!

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 02:14 AM
I can't help either, but a friend is having a similiar problem. He can't get his Ammonia to budge after 11days...Sometimes fish keeping can be really frustrating!

Yeah, it's been a month for me. Really can be frustrating. It seems like all these problems keep hitting me at once. I buy some female bettas who seemed fine in when I purchased and once we got home all of them have problems. I'm dealing with that. I'm dealing with two tanks cycling one which has had ammonia for a month which is the one this thread is about. I have a tank with ick. A couple of weeks ago I left a top off of one of the betta tanks and she jumped to her death after she just got cured from pop eye. I'm doing everything I should be, guess I shouldn't have expected things to go good for so long without bad happening but phew! Did it have to happen all at once?? LOL Had to vent a minute. Now I'm going to take a deep breathe and not scream!

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 02:21 AM

Guess I saved the little guys then since the local fish store uses it. I could put them in a betta tank while I treat I guess. Do they get ick? If not then I dont have to worry about taking it to the betta tanks.

Northernguy
01-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Every fish can get ich as far as I know.

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 03:18 AM
Every fish can get ich as far as I know.

Not fish snails LOL Since snails are more related to parasites than fish I wasn't sure if they can get ich.