PDA

View Full Version : Crabs ??

Northernguy
01-02-2009, 07:09 PM
I have been thinking about getting crabs?
LOL That just doesn't sound right!:14:
I bought a small 2L tank at a thrift store for .50 and wanted to try a crab or 2 in it.Is this too small?
I will probably go with shrimp if I could find some but chances of that are very slim.

smaug
01-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I have kept crabs before with limited success.I dont think I was doing it right though.I always got the so called "asian red crabs" they would live for a few months .

Red
01-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Just because you want crabs does not mean you have to tell everyone:14:

Sorry NG never kept them before?

angelcakes
01-02-2009, 07:24 PM
i think it depends on which crab you go for, Rainbow crabs 2L will be to small as these can grow big, smaller crabs such as red crab(Perisesarma (Sesarma) bidens) these crabs can be kept in a group providing there is enough room otherwise they will fight (territorial), will reach 5cm max when fully grown,dont forget you will have a better chance of keeping crabs if they have landspace aswell as water,
in the long run i think your 2L will be to small
2L im guessing does mean litres if not please correct me:14:

Northernguy
01-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Just because you want crabs does not mean you have to tell everyone.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!:11:

Angelcakes yes liters.:22:
I guess I wil try and find shrimp!

angelcakes
01-02-2009, 08:17 PM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!:11:

Angelcakes yes liters.:22:
:hmm3grin2orange:
good luck with the shrimp:14:

Crispy
01-02-2009, 09:02 PM

I've tried the crab thing before and didn't like it... I'm going with a shrimp colony myself soon.

Northernguy
01-03-2009, 01:51 AM
Its winter here so I will have to wait tll late spring to get anything delivered.

Wild Turkey
01-03-2009, 02:12 AM
My advice is research and find out which crabs are living after a few months of being kept, there a very few true freshwater species. Most types need to have a rock or something so they can climb out of the water and get dry, and they are pretty decent at escaping as well.

Northernguy
01-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Having something for it to climb on isn't the problem.Less water in small tank is best for me.Its easier to clean.
What I am worried about is the amount of space.Its only 10" long and 4" wide and 6"deep. Its one of those plastic beta tanks.
I have it sitting beside my computer and thought it would be nice to have something in it.