PDA

View Full Version : bringing up the angelfish issue again

lovleeko
01-02-2009, 02:28 AM
Okay, I have five more days to decide rather I want an angel or not. There seems to be some quite different opinions on keeping angels together. I am getting young angels there not even two inches. If I go with the decision to get an angel. What is your opinion on having two angels in the tank if they grow up together. I have a friend who will gladly take one if an issue arises.

Adrian
01-02-2009, 02:56 AM
Okay, I have five more days to decide rather I want an angel or not. There seems to be some quite different opinions on keeping angels together. I am getting young angels there not even two inches. If I go with the decision to get an angel. What is your opinion on having two angels in the tank if they grow up together. I have a friend who will gladly take one if an issue arises.

Angels are beautiful fish. The definately will add a presense to any tank. Now, how big is your tank. Angels can get big, and need about 15 gallons per fish. A pair is often recommended, but no more than that. Unless you have the tank for it.

Remember also, angels natural food are "small" torpedeo shaped fish. So once the angel gets big, neons, glo-lites and similar fish will be in danger, unless the torpedeo shaped fish is longer than they can consume.....

Miltonic
01-02-2009, 03:05 AM
I say get a few of them to get a pair then get rid of the rest once you have a pair if you want one. Right now I have 6 small Angel about 1-2 inches with one 5 inch male who lost its pair and I'm trying to get him a new one xD then after I get a pair I plan to get rid of the rest even though right now I'm not having any problems with them in my 45 gallon.

lovleeko
01-02-2009, 03:53 AM
I dont really want them to breed or anything. So if I did get same sex would this be a problem. I can't really afford to buy more than two because I have some fish who need bigger schools and I'm trying to make them priority. It is a 55 gallon. There are black neons though. which I assume will be pretty big by the time the angels come of size. Will this be okay? Thanks for the help.

TazManiac
01-02-2009, 04:01 AM
Only get them if the fish that you are keeping already, and any fish you think you would like to keep, are both large enough to not be dinner and can look after themselves if agression arises.

lovleeko
01-02-2009, 04:03 AM
I'm not really sure I'm in that boat because of the black neons.

TazManiac
01-02-2009, 04:09 AM
any small tetras will become lunch. Sorry. They may last for a few months but you will start to notice fish going missing.

Miltonic
01-02-2009, 04:24 AM
I rather have just Angels and not any other fish for the time being, if you want, i can give you two once i get my pair, i need to find homes for the others since my tank will be too small for more than two Angels soon. I think if the Neons are able to get to their full size before the Angels do and can hide in places where the Angels can't get, the tetras won't necessarily become lunch.

TazManiac
01-02-2009, 05:29 AM
I rather have just Angels and not any other fish for the time being, if you want, i can give you two once i get my pair, i need to find homes for the others since my tank will be too small for more than two Angels soon. I think if the Neons are able to get to their full size before the Angels do and can hide in places where the Angels can't get, the tetras won't necessarily become lunch.
Miltonic makes a good point. Hiding places, and lots of them, will make it safer for your other fish. Little or no hiding spots and it COULD be a problem.

lovleeko
01-02-2009, 05:39 AM
Miltonic makes a good point. Hiding places, and lots of them, will make it safer for your other fish. Little or no hiding spots and it COULD be a problem.

Yeah, I just wouldn't want them to live their whole lives hiding from something :(

TazManiac
01-02-2009, 06:21 AM
The way I see it you basically you have 4 options.

1. Don't get angels.
2. Get angels and good amount of hiding spots.
3. Get angels and only stock larger fish.
4. Get angels and have your small, torpedo shaped fish become expensive fish food.

Aaron

lovleeko
01-02-2009, 06:51 AM
The way I see it you basically you have 4 options.

1. Don't get angels.
2. Get angels and good amount of hiding spots.
3. Get angels and only stock larger fish.
4. Get angels and have your small, torpedo shaped fish become expensive fish food.

Aaron

LOL

Thanks for the list:hmm3grin2orange: I just dont consider black neons small when they are full grown. I have never owned a big angel though so I'm not the best one to say :)

C-Dub
01-02-2009, 08:07 PM
This is touchy b/c Angels have personalities that range very drastically. I will give you my opinion b/c I've kept Angelfish a very long time. Most important is tank size, for a same sex pair of Angels the smallest tank I would put them in is a 40gal. Secondly get them young, and have everything you want in the tank in place before you add the Angels. I haven't had issues w/ same sex Angels so long as they are very young when you get them and the tank is big enough with enough hiding places. This doesn't mean they aren't going to lip-lock every once in a while, they will def still establish a pecking order. The older they are when you get them the less you can persuade their personalities. What I mean by that is this, I find that Angels don't think of tankmates as food if they are there from day one (regardless of shape or size). When the Angel grows up with lets say a school of neons, it doesn't think of them as food even as it gets large enough to eat them. So you can possibly have some say in what these fish will tolerate depending on how you add them into an environment. Again this is just me speaking through my own experiences and some Angelfish I'm sure could go against everything I just said.

glen2009
01-02-2009, 08:35 PM
All angels are different, a few years back i had 7 angles in 1 tank and they all got on really well, they was in with 2 plecos, snails, frogs, and even 2 parrot fish.
they all got on really well and i never once had a problem,
saying that, they were in a 150 gallon tank.
then i had a friend that had just 3 angels in a 50 gallon and one of the angels killed the other 2.
and attacked anything that went into the tank.
so you never know with angels, but 1 rule is, never add small fish to a tank that already has angels, because the angles will attack.
their also very defensive of their territory.

smaug
01-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Angelfish are buggers to figure out.I have a very large male angel [9-10" tip to tip) kept with small glolights,hasbro corys and even some very skittish ghost shrimp.That being said,if I attempt to stock neons ,they are eaten or killed before the night is over.There is good evidence that if the angel grows up with smaller fish then he wont eat them [thats my experience] and only new small additions are seen as food items [my experience as well].At the risk of sounding callous,if you want small tetra and angels together,try it,but just once,what they kill and eat once will forever be seen as a snack item.Angelfish are far more interesting then little neons or other small schoolers and are worth the risk,get the angels,you wont regret it.

artemisblossom
01-04-2009, 04:17 AM
I don;t mean to hijack the thread but what about cories and platies? I have a 55 gal tank that I am thinking of slowly changing over to bigger fish, right now it has whats in my sig. except for the platy fry, oh and I have added a tiny turquoise severum

smaug
01-04-2009, 04:27 AM
I don;t mean to hijack the thread but what about cories and platies? I have a 55 gal tank that I am thinking of slowly changing over to bigger fish, right now it has whats in my sig. except for the platy fry, oh and I have added a tiny turquoise severum
Then dont hijack.Start your own threadthumbs2:

lovleeko
01-04-2009, 04:32 AM
Thanks all for the opinions and experiences. I am still considering. have another week to make up my mind.

artemisblossom
01-04-2009, 04:41 AM
well thanks a lot smaug, if you didn't like me asking the question you could have just ignored it, I only asked because platys are shaped something like neon type fish

lovleeko
01-04-2009, 05:06 AM
well thanks a lot smaug, if you didn't like me asking the question you could have just ignored it, I only asked because platys are shaped something like neon type fish

I'm pretty sure smaug didn't mean it like that. Normally if you start another thread you will get a lot more replies. Because a lot of the people who have answered to this one wont check it again. Some will some wont. But you will get a lot more replies by starting a new one :)

artemisblossom
01-04-2009, 05:12 AM
thanks Loveleeko I did start my own thread on this, guess I should have in the first place

lovleeko
01-04-2009, 06:07 AM
thanks Loveleeko I did start my own thread on this, guess I should have in the first place

Oh yeah, I hope you didn't think I meant I didn't want it in this thread or anything. Hi jack threads all you want. We all do thumbs2: LOL I'm sure you'll get a lot more replies that way though.

smaug
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Didnt mean to ruffle feathers.As lovleeko said,a thread of your own will give you much better info.There is nothing wrong with a bit of thread jacking if the question is totally pertinent to the original question/subject,otherwise the post is usually ignored.:22: