PDA

View Full Version : Redeeming features of snails?

Lady Hobbs
12-31-2008, 05:04 PM
What are they? I have found none so far. You see one or two, think they are kinda cute, and two months later they are everywhere. Crawling on wood, rocks, plants, all over in the filter, glass and substrate and then you are over-run with them.

If they eat algae, they sure don't do a good job. With 2000 snails in the tank, there would be no algae at all, would there? I keep trying to like them but think it's just not gonna happen.

toddnbecka
12-31-2008, 05:15 PM
MTS are sometimes beneficial for stirring the substrate, though they also occaisonally jam an impeller IME. In general snails don't perform any significant function (other than an overfeeding indicator) that can't be handled more effectively by proper maintenance (water quality) or a suitable fish (algae removal.)
In most cases they're just a fact of life for the average aquarium keeper, or an excuse to add a new, snail-eating species of fish in hopes of controlling or eliminting them. IME spixi or assassin snails are quite effective for controlling the populations of other species. Loaches or copper sulfate are best for elimination if they really MUST go.

Lady Hobbs
12-31-2008, 05:50 PM
I knew there was nothing great about them!

:)

terrapin24h
12-31-2008, 07:48 PM
hey hey, don't be haters now. There are some snails that are cool. My mysteries-pomacea bridgesii-(despite the fact that they refuse to breed, lol) are cool additions to the tanks, tootin around the substrate cleaning it and surfing the top of the water. I like'm and think they are a great cleanup crew.

Other snails like mts and pond snails are cool because they give you an excuse to keep puffers :)

--chris

korith
12-31-2008, 07:50 PM
What are they? I have found none so far. You see one or two, think they are kinda cute, and two months later they are everywhere. Crawling on wood, rocks, plants, all over in the filter, glass and substrate and then you are over-run with them.

If they eat algae, they sure don't do a good job. With 2000 snails in the tank, there would be no algae at all, would there? I keep trying to like them but think it's just not gonna happen.

Well if you have too much time on your hands, one redeeming quality is you can find yourself sitting in front of the tank cursing them as you pluck them out of the tank for hours on end.

Naturestee
12-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Um, they tell me when I'm feeding too much?

They'd be tasty snacks for loaches or puffers.

Nerite snails don't breed in fresh water and are supposed to eat lots of algae, how about that?

Wild Turkey
12-31-2008, 08:09 PM
I find mysterys attractive, but even I will tell you they are way more trouble than they are worth, and they are one of the least troublesome snails so im inclined to agree with you hobbsie.

Mvjnz
01-01-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't find my snails any trouble at all, and I have about 100 mystery snails, and an unknown amount of ramshorns and pond snails, spread out over 3 1/2 tanks and a pond.

They do little if any damage to plants, because I pick snail safe plants (just like you have to pick plants which are safe for goldfish or cichlids when choosing to keep those fish).

Redeeming features would have to be that they eat algae, dead plants and any uneaten fish food, they can be kept in very small tanks unlike many cleaner fish and algae eaters, they are compatible with most fish, as they can defend themselves from being eaten but are not aggressive in the slightest, and they add colour and movement to tanks which don't have a lot of fish in them, such as species tanks.

I don't see why people have such a big problem with snails. I find them cute and useful.

Lady Hobbs
01-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Snails are one of those things people either really like or really don't like. I have no problem with a few of them but I do have a problem with a hail storm of them.

But what has really surprised me is about 200 I tossed in the clown loach tank. I saw none and figured these loaches were gobbling them up until I cleaned their tank last night. I moved the wood and there were hundreds of snails hiding in the wood! Well, I think they were hiding! Maybe most of what I saw were just empty snail shells but a lot of snails were still alive crawling on the wood.

Algenco
01-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Snails are one of those things people either really like or really don't like. I have no problem with a few of them but I do have a problem with a hail storm of them.

But what has really surprised me is about 200 I tossed in the clown loach tank. I saw none and figured these loaches were gobbling them up until I cleaned their tank last night. I moved the wood and there were hundreds of snails hiding in the wood! Well, I think they were hiding! Maybe most of what I saw were just empty snail shells but a lot of snails were still alive crawling on the wood.

The clown grab a snail and go hide to eat it, I find piles of empty shells around their stump

Lady Hobbs
01-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Cool. Then they are probably dead. Do I remove the shells? LOL That should be a trick picking up one by one. :)

Algenco
01-01-2009, 02:39 PM
The loach pull the snail out of the shell, I use a piece of garden hose to siphon the shells out

Lady Hobbs
01-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks.

I found a rather easy way to grab live ones last night. I suck them up in the vac hose but of course they just bounce around in there. I hold the net under the nozzle and let them fall back into the net. I must have picked up a couple hundred like that. My daughter wants them so I can grabbing them for her tank.

Algenco
01-01-2009, 02:58 PM
my loach's can't get enough , I have 4 tanks with rams horns that are used to feed the clowns, needless to say, my clowns are fat:hmm3grin2orange:

gm72
01-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Redeeming feature--loaches think they taste good. I have a large, constant supply of them for the loaches. Every week I remove maybe 50 or so and scatter them among the 3 tanks that have loaches. I enjoy giving them the treat. Outside of that though they are a pain! (the snails, not the loaches)

Lady Hobbs
01-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Cool. I will definately keep mine and just keep feeding those snails! Could turn them loose in the planted tank and may just do that.

MrJim
01-01-2009, 04:39 PM
The local Petsmart is having an overrun of snails...loads of baby snails in many of the tanks..along with too many dead fish-lately it's been a sad place to go. There is no sign about the little ones being for sale; looks like an infestation. There weren't any in the Clown Loach tank :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
01-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I just moved my loaches to this tank. They will be in heaven for some time.

MrJim
01-01-2009, 07:20 PM
I just moved my loaches to this tank. They will be in heaven for some time.

Guess they just eat till they're full~they won't overeat like some fish?

robnepper
01-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I hate all of you peole that are successfull at have snail outbreaks. I can't seem to keep them around and I want them for puffer food.

sorry for hating.