PDA

View Full Version : Adding bamboo plant

lava
12-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Hey guys. I got a live bamboo, that is growing in my vase . I was thinking if it was possible to put it into my tank? it not big , it actually has 4 or 5 stems growing in the vase and their all about 10inch"s? each. I had it in diff places in my house once in a not so well lit up place and now its by a window witch seems to be doing a bit better, but it was still doing pretty good in the not so well lit area. So I was thinking if it was okay to add it? its called a lucky bamboo, at least thats what the tag said when I bought it. I could put one stem into the tank to see how it would do, so I just wanted to hear your opinions? my tank is a 55 gal with reg lighting nothing special. Heres a pic of the bamboo, its got no potting soil or anything, just simple water. It drinks like a crazed ape though.

Hailey
12-31-2008, 06:27 AM
I accually just bought some yesterday and asked the same question. But I heard that if it fully submerged in water, it will begin to rot. It may do fine for a few months, but then it starts to rot.
Some people say yes, some say no.

Hailey
12-31-2008, 06:28 AM
heres what others said to me yesterday...
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=35013

lava
12-31-2008, 06:52 AM
Hmmm thanks! But the ones at petco are fully submerged ,and some float cuz they get loose . Do you know how bad the rotting, will it effect my fish?

korith
12-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Hmmm thanks! But the ones at petco are fully submerged ,and some float cuz they get loose . Do you know how bad the rotting, will it effect my fish?

I think the ones in petshops don't really last too long, cause they are sold long before they end up rotting. If you don't use a lid you could have let the shoots stick out that would be alright I think.

lava
12-31-2008, 07:28 AM
If you don't use a lid you could have let the shoots stick out that would be alright I think. I'll definitely give it a try :D thanks guys

I think the ones in petshops don't really last too long, cause they are sold long before they end up rotting Yea I know what you mean. Those XXXXXXXXX don't give a dang , they just try to make a buck of some poor person that doesn't know what their doing.

korith
12-31-2008, 07:33 AM
I'll definitely give it a try :D thanks guys

Yea I know what you mean. Those bastards don't give a dang , they just try to make a buck of some poor person that doesn't know what their doing.

Sigh yep. The same goes for their fish, some shops will sell fish the same day they get them in. Others will hold them for a week or two before selling them. Nothing worse than buying a bunch, then seeing a bad batch die off in first few days, it happens.

lava
12-31-2008, 09:04 AM
Sigh yep. The same goes for their fish, some shops will sell fish the same day they get them in. Others will hold them for a week or two before selling them. Nothing worse than buying a bunch, then seeing a bad batch die off in first few days, it happens. Yea and that dead batch will make you test your waters 400 times (thinking somethings wrong with your water parameters) >_<

OscarFan
12-31-2008, 09:07 AM
if its fully submerged it will rot. If u can let it stick out the top then it should survive

Lady Hobbs
12-31-2008, 04:24 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=35013

Check this thread, Lava.