PDA

View Full Version : introducing snails to tank, cleaning algae

jamison170
12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
I have a 10g freshwater tank. I was going to get 1 or 2 margarita or nerite snails to clear algae as the algae is getting out of hand.

1. should those do the job of cleaning the algae? it is mostly on the glass.

2. the substrate is like small gravel. Is that going to be ok for them, will they be able to get around?

3. how do I introduce them to the tank? I read something about drip treatement or something like that. Just drip my water into their bag a little at a time?

4. do I need to add calcium or anything like that?

Thanks for your help I am a total noob with regard to snails.

Northernguy
12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Snails need a high ph.
Snails also multiply like crazy.
Have you looked at Apple Snails yet?They need a pair to mate and the eggs are easily seen and removed.http://www.applesnail.net/
Why not get an oto?They clean real good.
As for acclimating just float the bag for 20-30min.Do not add the water from the bag to your tank.

terrapin24h
12-30-2008, 06:11 PM
do you have freshwater or marine tanks? i'm pretty sure margarita snails are marine only and nerite snails commonly found in tanks are also SW, maybe brackish. I think there may be a FW species, but haven't heard of them being sold anywhere. Like NG said, applesnail.net is your friend.

--chris

Wild Turkey
12-30-2008, 06:30 PM
NG has the right idea here.

Really, algae problems are much more easily fixed at the source, which is too much light or nutrients in the water. Adding real plants will take some away from the algae. Indirect sunlight can also cause algae.

I usually dont recommend apple snails for people who use gravel, but its not because its hard for them them to get around, more because they are messy. They should be able to get around fine.

Research first, always

jamison170
12-30-2008, 09:27 PM
What is an oto?

Thanks for your replies. I have been researching and I think a nerite snail would be good. I just need to check my PH to make sure it's over 7.

Yeah I know it would be best to get rid of the sunlight but as I was saying in another thread, it's weird, the overhead light in the tank causes the fish agitation, so I like to let the sunlight in so they can at least get some light. It is so weird how they don't like much light at all (they are bleeding heart tetras)

Wild Turkey
12-30-2008, 09:41 PM
What is an oto?

Thanks for your replies. I have been researching and I think a nerite snail would be good. I just need to check my PH to make sure it's over 7.

Yeah I know it would be best to get rid of the sunlight but as I was saying in another thread, it's weird, the overhead light in the tank causes the fish agitation, so I like to let the sunlight in so they can at least get some light. It is so weird how they don't like much light at all (they are bleeding heart tetras)
Adding floating plants to the tank and taking a look at the the spectrum and intesity of your light(s) could help solve that problem for you.

Oto = otocinclus catfish a small catfish known for its expert ability to consume algae unlike anything else of its size.Easy to care for and easy to find, around $2 each or less.

terrapin24h
12-31-2008, 03:59 AM
with snails, not only is your ph important, but so is the general hardness(GH) of your water. If there aren't enough dissolved solids in the water, the snail's shell will slowly dissolve, even if your KH(which dictates ph) is high. a ph over 7 indicates that your water has buffering capacity, but not necessarily dissolved solids, esp if you have an aggressive water treatment plant or a water softener system for your house water. What you can do is use a buffer agent like baking soda to get your buffer at a level. Then put crushed coral in your tank or filter to keep it there. im currently working to that end right now and we now have some critters that require not only higher ph but dissolved minerals as well. FTR, i have oto cats and they are most definitely a great addition to a tank.

--chris

snapdragon9
01-29-2009, 08:12 PM
NG has the right idea here.

Really, algae problems are much more easily fixed at the source, which is too much light or nutrients in the water.

Research first, always

Couldn't have said it any better, adding snails or plants are a good idea but doesn't directly get to the source...phosphate/light control with get down to the root of the problem...also if you put in too many snails too quickly, there may not be enough algae grow-back to sustain all of them. Walk the number of snails up slowly, so the level of algae doesn't deplete too fast.