PDA

View Full Version : Betta in 10gal

Corndawg
12-30-2008, 06:35 AM
Well, got an email from someone on craigslist today, responding to my ad for cheap aquariums. Well Im getting it free! But she said its got pretty bad algae on it. Havent seen a pic, will only see it when I go pick it up. Whats the best way to clean it off, besides algae pads of course. And also, how will my betta do in the 10gal alone for awile? Plan on adding something else maybe a month down the road.

dancethenparty
12-30-2008, 07:31 AM
unless your looking for another creature to clean off the algae. your good. i think he would be alright. what else were you planning to add?

lovleeko
12-30-2008, 07:38 AM
I definitely would not add the betta until the other planed mates were in there. I have had bad results more than once trying to do that. Females and males do this. Adding the betta last is a way different story IME But if your asking if he will be lonely or anything, not if you keep him stimulated. Bettas are somewhat solitary. Contrary to popular belief they are not totally solitary. In the wild they are often with other fish and even around other bettas from time to time so they do get a little action. I would just make sure he is stimulated and had a mirror somewhere outside the tank so he can get a bit of actionthumbs2:

wolf_eyes
12-30-2008, 07:52 AM
I definitely would not add the betta until the other planed mates were in there.

I can't agree with this enough. I put my betta in first for the first week and then decided to get some corys to be with him. I rearranged the tank, fed him really good before putting him, did just about everything people tell you to do. He was ok with them for a while until dinner time came around. Then he would just get nasty. He flare and chase the little guys around and try to eat their food. This went on for about a week until he nipped one of my corys fins and I had to separate them.

It really depends on the age and temperment of the betta. Younger bettas are a little more tolerant to change. If you can find a smaller one at the store I would buy it, because chances are it's a young one. Not only should he be little less aggressive (hopefully) you'll also have a longer time with him. Also putting him later will just make him think that the fish are just naturally there, rather than intruders in his space

korith
12-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Well, got an email from someone on craigslist today, responding to my ad for cheap aquariums. Well Im getting it free! But she said its got pretty bad algae on it. Havent seen a pic, will only see it when I go pick it up. Whats the best way to clean it off, besides algae pads of course. And also, how will my betta do in the 10gal alone for awile? Plan on adding something else maybe a month down the road.

To clean it, hot water and some elbow grease. Also you can try using a glass scrapper, to avoid scratching the tank make sure the blade is on an acute angle. Should be all gone at that point if not then, could can use a mild bleach solution, then rinse very well and let dry until the smell is gone. Can also add some dechlorinator and let it sit for a while after.

If your getting the hood and filter too, and they need cleaning you can use a vinegar solution to clean the tank with as well.

Free is an excellent price! Got my tanks that way too!

Wild Turkey
12-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Agreed. Algae is easy enough to clean with a scrubbrush or sponge, just make sure its soft enough to not scrape the glass, dont use an algae scraper for that reason.

Also agreed on adding the betta last if other tank mates are planned. You are asking for trouble otherwise

The bleach not so much agreed, i always say rinse it as many times as it takes to smell no bleach, rinse one more time and let dry. Dechlor wont remove the detergents in household bleach.

Northernguy
12-30-2008, 03:19 PM
You got all the correct info already!
Enjoy the new tank!
Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corndawg
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I will just keep him in there alone, it can be his own tank.(spoiled...) And I only have to clean the tank and hood/lights. Dont know what type of hood or lights it is, she just said "lights that work" lol. I just bought a AC20 like a week ago, so I ll be using that and the heater from my 5gal hex. Plan on doing playsand in it, whats in my 5gal, plus some new. Waiting for her to set up her new aquarium and move her goldfish, then Ill get to get it. Hoprfully a couple days. Ill make sure to post some pics when I get it.
thanks all

lovleeko
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
If you are just in a hurry to add him, if your keeping the five gallon you could just take him out (of the ten gallon) for a while add the tank mates and then a few weeks later add him back after rearranging the tank.

lovleeko
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Agreed. Algae is easy enough to clean with a scrubbrush or sponge, just make sure its soft enough to not scrape the glass, dont use an algae scraper for that reason.

Also agreed on adding the betta last if other tank mates are planned. You are asking for trouble otherwise

The bleach not so much agreed, i always say rinse it as many times as it takes to smell no bleach, rinse one more time and let dry. Dechlor wont remove the detergents in household bleach.

You can buy just plain bleach. Clorox makes a bottle of just straight up bleach.

Wild Turkey
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
You can buy just plain bleach. Clorox makes a bottle of just straight up bleach.

Sorry, dechlor will still not remove the bleach completely.
Chlorine dixoide is in household bleach and that is what the dechlor will remove.
"Bleach" is not a compound or an element, its a solution, and buying a bottle that says "bleach" or "regular bleach" will not give you a better idea of what it contains. (regular bleach is what clorox calls it) its the same stuff i put it with my whites.

I emplore anyone; fill a bucket with bleach, dechlor it and then drink from it. You wouldnt? So dont put it in with your fish. Simple as that. Rinse the tank well.

Pool bleach is different, as may only contain chlorine, in which case dechlor will effect it, but its not as useful for cleaning, and people get TB from swimming pools.

korith
12-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Ok I was off about the bleach and the dechlorinator, now to figure out where I got that idea into my head.

lovleeko
12-31-2008, 12:08 AM
Who would put bleach in with the fish anyway? LOL I was just saying you can use household bleach to clean an aquarium before you put fish in if you rinse well. When I clean my stuff with bleach I rinse a million times then add some dechlor just to be sure. When I say straight up bleach I mean bleach with no scent or other additives. "straight up bleach"

Sorry, dechlor will still not remove the bleach completely.
Chlorine dixoide is in household bleach and that is what the dechlor will remove.
"Bleach" is not a compound or an element, its a solution, and buying a bottle that says "bleach" or "regular bleach" will not give you a better idea of what it contains. (regular bleach is what clorox calls it) its the same stuff i put it with my whites.

I emplore anyone; fill a bucket with bleach, dechlor it and then drink from it. You wouldnt? So dont put it in with your fish. Simple as that. Rinse the tank well.

Pool bleach is different, as may only contain chlorine, in which case dechlor will effect it, but its not as useful for cleaning, and people get TB from swimming pools.

Wild Turkey
12-31-2008, 03:12 AM
Who would put bleach in with the fish anyway? LOL I was just saying you can use household bleach to clean an aquarium before you put fish in if you rinse well. When I clean my stuff with bleach I rinse a million times then add some dechlor just to be sure. When I say straight up bleach I mean bleach with no scent or other additives. "straight up bleach"

Right, you're going to add dechlor anyway, regardless of what it does or doesnt do, and of course, rinsing a few extra times is a good idea always, thats pretty much my only point here. My point is just not to give the impression you should gung-ho it with the bleach ;)

People say dechlor will eliminate pool-bleach completely, which i can totally see working, so i can see how people might think it would do the same with household bleach, and try to pass it on as a nice little "bet you didnt know" and probably gets misinterpreted

lovleeko
12-31-2008, 03:18 AM
Right, you're going to add dechlor anyway, regardless of what it does or doesnt do, and of course, rinsing a few extra times is a good idea always, thats pretty much my only point here. My point is just not to give the impression you should gung-ho it with the bleach ;)

People say dechlor will eliminate pool-bleach completely, which i can totally see working, so i can see how people might think it would do the same with household bleach, and try to pass it on as a nice little "bet you didnt know" and probably gets misinterpreted

Yeah I get ya. I wouldn't want someone thinking they can just rinse a bit and then the dechlor will do the trick. I know squat about using bleach in the pool. I buy chlorine :) LOL But I know some reasons why real chlorine benefit over bleach according to the pinch a penny employees. "Lets hope they know more than fish store employees" LOL

korith
12-31-2008, 03:40 AM
Yeah I get ya. I wouldn't want someone thinking they can just rinse a bit and then the dechlor will do the trick. I know squat about using bleach in the pool. I buy chlorine :) LOL But I know some reasons why real chlorine benefit over bleach according to the pinch a penny employees. "Lets hope they know more than fish store employees" LOL

That's kind of what I meant. Just figured dechlor wouldn't hurt. And I rinsed the heck out of the tank afterwards.

Corndawg
01-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Well picked up the tank tonight. Just as bad as I expected lol. gonna start on the cleaning and go from there 2morrow. Heres some pics. Just a wal-mart 10gal i believe, but free so I dun care :/ Its got 2 iridescent bulbs. They sell twin-tube skinny screw in floresents all wal-mart in the fish section. would these be a good replacement for now?
http://i40.tinypic.com/1z1zlh5.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/24oapls.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/ac4jz9.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/ht9ylh.jpg

lovleeko
01-02-2009, 08:00 AM
I have the same hood on one of my tens. I use the regular fluorescent lights on it. I know the ones your talking about in the walmart fish section. Their like five dollars a piece. You can get a whole box of six fluorescent bulbs for the same price from the aisle where they have all the light bulbs. And you can choose your wattage depending on what you want. Keep the rest for spares, use them for other tanks or if your like me, in your house :)

korith
01-02-2009, 08:05 AM
I just bought 2 flourescent lights from the dollar store that seemed to work fine in the hood:p Remember to check the silicone in the tank and make sure it's not flaking.

lovleeko
01-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Yeah you can buy separate ones at the dollar store and walmart but being the bargain shopper that I am.... I get the six and they are cheaper in the long run. I know I know not ever one cares about the long run.

AmazingH
01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I've always just used water, salt & a sponge to get bad algae off.. then I rinse the tank out a few times with really hot water.

It always works for me..

:goldfish: :fish:

Corndawg
01-03-2009, 05:10 AM
I've always just used water, salt & a sponge to get bad algae off.. then I rinse the tank out a few times with really hot water.

It always works for me..

:goldfish: :fish:
Thats what I ended up doing, plus some vinegar for the hard water stains under the algae lol. Got it cleaned, filled with sand and waiting for it to clear a lil before I take pics. But about the bulbs... Ive looked at the "normal" bulbs, and it seems like they have to big of a "base" to fit into this hood. They gotta be just as skinny as the irradecents all the way down...

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 05:37 AM
Thats what I ended up doing, plus some vinegar for the hard water stains under the algae lol. Got it cleaned, filled with sand and waiting for it to clear a lil before I take pics. But about the bulbs... Ive looked at the "normal" bulbs, and it seems like they have to big of a "base" to fit into this hood. They gotta be just as skinny as the irradecents all the way down...

Their not. I swear. They do look like it because they have that sort of plastic piece there. They fit right into it. thumbs2:

Corndawg
01-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Ok, since you have the same hood, Im gonna believe ya. Is it possible to take pics of your hood? I would like to see it with the bulbs in it. :/

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Ok, since you have the same hood, Im gonna believe ya. Is it possible to take pics of your hood? I would like to see it with the bulbs in it. :/

Sure give me a sec

Corndawg
01-03-2009, 05:53 AM
awsome, thanks. And I hope you didnt take that as I didnt believe you lol, just curious is all. :)

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 06:02 AM
awsome, thanks. And I hope you didnt take that as I didnt believe you lol, just curious is all. :)

Oh no it's cool :) Only took a sec...

Okay i have one 10 watt and one 13 watt in it. This is a ten watt flur. in comparison with an incandescent I took out of the hood
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/retrokid2002/lightbulbs011.jpg

Here is the hood just to make sure we are talking about the same hood which I'm positive we are
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/retrokid2002/lightbulbs008.jpg

And here are the lights in the hood.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/retrokid2002/lightbulbs010.jpg

Corndawg
01-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Yep exact same hood. Ok, guess they just looked like it wouldnt fit. So whats the biggest watt I could put in there. I think it says 25watt max? They got a 25w bulb?

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Yep exact same hood. Ok, guess they just looked like it wouldnt fit. So whats the biggest watt I could put in there. I think it says 25watt max? They got a 25w bulb?

I'm not sure if they have a 25 watt. I would think five watts per gallon would be serious over kill though. I'm not the best person to comment on the wattage issue. I dont grow anything that requires a whole lot of light. But I noticed they dont have a 15 but 13 watt (at walmart) Then it went from 13 to 20 I think. (if I'm not mistaken.) I just bought some the other day so you would think I would remember but......

Corndawg
01-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Yeah prob just go with the the 2x13watt. Thanks for the help thumbs2:

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Yeah prob just go with the the 2x13watt. Thanks for the help thumbs2:

Probably a good idea. That is almost three watts per gallon and you could grow a good bit of stuff in there with that. The white light from the fluorescent is sooooooo much better than the dingy incandescent bulbs too. I hate those incandescent lights. Anyway, sure anytime. Congrats on the new tank:19:

Corndawg
01-03-2009, 06:32 AM
some pics... need some get some live plants now that I have room/lighting. But this is it for now :/
http://i41.tinypic.com/ka1h13.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/qz0x8i.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2hmd16d.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/29awv0g.jpg

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Awesome! Betta heaventhumbs2: I'll bet he is enjoying it:18:

Corndawg
01-03-2009, 06:37 AM
I think hes good in all his room. yeah, hes been swimming the glass since hes got in there. now hes just doin the "I want the mirror" dance lol. So I think hes gonna be fine, just need more plants to fill the tank, get rid of these plastic ones, and Ill be happy.

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 06:46 AM
I think hes good in all his room. yeah, hes been swimming the glass since hes got in there. now hes just doin the "I want the mirror" dance lol. So I think hes gonna be fine, just need more plants to fill the tank, get rid of these plastic ones, and Ill be happy.

Yeah, that will be nice. He'll love the real plants. My bettas always avoid fake plants. You know what, bettas do that a lot. They always swim along the tank line moving ever so gracefully. I always say they want to be the center of attention. I can hardly get a picture of any of my tanks with bettas in them without a betta being in the picture. Move!! I'll talk to you in a minute. LOL (yes talk to them) LMAO. They are the greatest fish though. When I'm digging around in there my bettas are always right there just checking out what I'm doing. I can touch them and everything. The other fish are freaking out and running the other way. It's entertaining to me that they really learn to like you and not just during food time :)

Corndawg
01-03-2009, 06:51 AM
he dosent beg for food. I feed him twice a day, and he eats it, and thats it. But when hes really wigged out, he wants his mirror, I dunno lol. And hes on my computer desk, when Im sitting here, he is swimming the front glass constantly, to stop for a breath every now and then. He almost ignores my hand in the tank, kinda swims away when I touch him, but if I dont, he just swims around like it wasent in there. One of my shubunkins lets me pet it tho. Anyway, yeah bettas are awsome. Got an empty 5gal hex now... I wonder what I could put in it.. lol, I might get another one soon.

lovleeko
01-03-2009, 07:09 AM
he dosent beg for food. I feed him twice a day, and he eats it, and thats it. But when hes really wigged out, he wants his mirror, I dunno lol. And hes on my computer desk, when Im sitting here, he is swimming the front glass constantly, to stop for a breath every now and then. He almost ignores my hand in the tank, kinda swims away when I touch him, but if I dont, he just swims around like it wasent in there. One of my shubunkins lets me pet it tho. Anyway, yeah bettas are awsome. Got an empty 5gal hex now... I wonder what I could put in it.. lol, I might get another one soon.

LOL Yeah, well you might know already that I'm the crazy betta lady. HEHE. They are awesome. My husband is building a shop soon and I am getting a a room on the side of it which is going to be my fish room so I can buckle down and get some breeding done. gonna breed satin flame bettas!! I'm excited. Breeding without a fish room is just too much work. It's gonna be work in there but much more convenient. I can't wait. You gonna get a crown tail next so you can have both types? Crowntails are my favorite but I'm going start breeding half moons because they are harder to get and I think they'll be a bigger seller here locally.

AmazingH
01-04-2009, 04:09 AM
LOL Yeah, well you might know already that I'm the crazy betta lady. HEHE. They are awesome. My husband is building a shop soon and I am getting a a room on the side of it which is going to be my fish room so I can buckle down and get some breeding done. gonna breed satin flame bettas!! I'm excited. Breeding without a fish room is just too much work. It's gonna be work in there but much more convenient. I can't wait. You gonna get a crown tail next so you can have both types? Crowntails are my favorite but I'm going start breeding half moons because they are harder to get and I think they'll be a bigger seller here locally.

Lucky duck! *Jealous*
Just so you know, halfmoons need a really good quality of water for their fins to grow in nice and big. :goldfish:

I love satin flames. <3

Nice tank corndawg. Sure he loves it!

lovleeko
01-04-2009, 04:18 AM
Lucky duck! *Jealous*
Just so you know, halfmoons need a really good quality of water for their fins to grow in nice and big. :goldfish:

I love satin flames. <3

Nice tank corndawg. Sure he loves it!

LOL all of my betta freinds have excellent water, even my pet store bettas. You know the crazy betta girl wont do her bettas wrong!! thumbs2:

The whole point of the fish room will be easier to keep water quilty up for them. So I can have a huge holding tank for water for changes and ten thousand nets supplies etc in order to keep sanitation tip top. I have layed out the plans for the whole room. All geared toward ease of use and sanitation. it will be great!!:hmm3grin2orange: I love the satin flames too. They will also throw off a few types of whites :19:

AmazingH
01-04-2009, 04:25 AM
LOL all of my betta freinds have excellent water, even my pet store bettas. You know the crazy betta girl wont do her bettas wrong!!

The whole point of the fish room will be easier to keep water quilty up for them. So I can have a huge holding tank for water for changes and ten thousand nets supplies etc in order to keep sanitation tip top. I have layed out the plans for the whole room. All geared toward ease of use and sanitation. it will be great!! I love the satin flames too. They will also throw off a few types of whites

I wish I had a big holding tank *sigh*

I've heard they can throw opaques and ivories.. to be specific. I guess it just depends on the strain..

lovleeko
01-04-2009, 04:28 AM
I wish I had a big holding tank *sigh*

I've heard they can throw opaques and ivories.. to be specific. I guess it just depends on the strain..

Yeah, they can. I just didn't specify because most dont care. LOL I wont actually be able to sell them as such because the name is owned by faith granger. do you breed bettas?