PDA

View Full Version : New to the site

StefE
12-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Hello all! I am new to the site, but not new to the fish seen. I have been reading all the threads and thought I would introduce myself. A couple of years ago I had three saltwater fish tanks in one room and then I had to move. I have been wanting another fish tank for a while and just convinced my fiance to get a fish.

I wanted a betta, because when I was in college I had one and he was so friendly. My new addition is still in the small bowl from the LPS and I feel so horrible. I am in the process of cycling a 3 gallon eclipse. I have it all set up, but how long should I wait to put him in his new home? I have all the drops and stuff for the water. The tank has 2 different live plants and some decoration and gravel. Also, once he is settled in do you think it would be ok to get an african dwarf frog with him in a 3 gallon tank? Thanks!

~Stef

Wild Turkey
12-30-2008, 03:44 AM
Welcome to ac!!!:19:

You dont want to add any fish until youve finished establishing the cycle.

The e-book in my signature is worth a read!thumbs2:

Northernguy
12-30-2008, 03:47 AM
Welcome to the wonderful AC!
I agree with WT,you need to cycle your tank first.Just letting it sit won't do it.
Here is a link you can read it will help.http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640
The free E-book is a great read as well.

StefE
12-30-2008, 03:52 AM
Thanks I will definitely give those a read as well. Thanks for the help. I just feel so bad for the guy in a small bowl. I normally don't do it all backwards. I usually research for months and prepare.

~Stef

OscarFan
12-30-2008, 04:10 AM
after your tank is cycled an african dwarf or 2 should work with the betta.

sandy_n
12-30-2008, 04:42 AM
Hi Stef and welcome to AC...:ssmile:

angelcakes
12-30-2008, 08:33 AM
hello and welcome:19:

korith
12-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the site! Since it's not cycled, keep an eye on the water quality. The live plants should help some. Also bettas don't like too much current caused by the filter. If it looks it may be causing too much, you should try to limit it. Depending on the filter you might be able to stuff a sponge in it that would help.

I'm not sure but wouldn't the betta do a bit better in the tank than the small container even while it's cycling? Maybe someone that knows can chime in here.

Sharon
12-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Welcome!!!:19:

StefE
12-31-2008, 03:11 AM
Thanks for all the help! I can't wait to get an african dwarf they look so cool. Is it ok to just get one or do they need a buddy. I read when they get cold they hang out with each other to get warm. (How cute)
Korith brought up a valid point of putting the fish in while it cycles. Is this a good idea? All the information that I read it does say that the fish are in the tank while it cycles.
Sorry for sounding so dumb. I just remember for the saltwater we had to cycle for a week and check the levels and then add damsel fish which are cheap and hardy.

~Stef