PDA

View Full Version : LR Transport

priebjm
12-29-2008, 10:01 PM
What would be the best procedure for transporting LR from an established tank (2 year) to my established tank (11 months)

Tigerbarb
12-29-2008, 10:08 PM
I would fill some containers(however many it takes) with properly mixed & aged saltwater, then remove the rocks from your tank and put them in the containers. Then, when the time comes to put the rocks in your other tank, remove the rocks from the containers of saltwater and carefully set them up in your other tank.

unleashed
12-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Get several buckets with a lid and fill them with SW and put the rock in there. That way there is minimal die off

kaybee
12-29-2008, 11:55 PM
I've had success tranferring damp LR (without water) in rubbermaid buckets. Transit time from the established tank it originated from to my tank was about 30min.

No noted biological filtration die-off, and the LR remained teeming with life (including various hitch-hiking crabs, a m&m sized rock-boring sea-urchin and tons of pods).

For slightly long trips one could wrap damp cured LR with newspaper.

oldhead
12-30-2008, 01:51 AM
How far do you have to transport it?

Fishguy2727
12-30-2008, 02:04 AM
All the rock I got was already cycled so I transported it completely submerged in 5-gallons buckets. Curing is needed when you transport it out of the water and all those beneficial aquatic animals die. Definitely transport it submerged in water from the tank you got it out of.