PDA

View Full Version : Interesting/Creative Tank Ideas?

bubble_bee
01-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey everyone!!

I'm new to the forum, so I'm not sure if they're is a recent thread on this...

I was just wondering if anyone has any creative ideas on converting a tank (or something else?) into a heated and divided male betta tank? I have four male bettas that up until now I have kept in bowls, but I'm now learning that their conditions are much too cold. I have an old 10 gallon in my basement that I'd love to house them in, but I'm just not sure how to go about it. The dividers I found didn't seem like they would allow for a heater. Any ideas?

I was intrigued by Courtni522's hanging heat lamp- is it a reptile lamp?

Thanks everyone!

minabird
01-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Bubble-bee-

The tank divider I use on my 10gal has holes cut in it to allow the water to flow thru. The one I have is by Penn Plax. I use it to separate my 2 bettas. I place the heater near the middle and the thermometer is on the opposite side of the divider on the side of the tank and reads the same temp that I have set for the heater. I also have an airstone next to the heater to help distribute the heated water throughout the tank.

If all you are planning is to just keep the bettas in the 10gal tank, you could use 3 dividers to divide the tank into 4 small areas for each fish. Place 2 small heaters (25 watts should be enough) on either end of the tank and a small air stone in each section to keep the water circulating between all 4 areas. You also might want to block part of the dividers with tall plants or decorations so that your bettas don't have to look at each other all of the time.

Glasstapper
01-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Also, just so you know that when putting 4 bettas in a 10 gallon (with separators) is only giving them not even a half a gallon of water each. Just something to consider if you wanted to give them more space.

oh, and it's easier to adjust a heater than it is to adjust a heat lamp.

sergo
01-29-2007, 02:34 AM
Also, just so you know that when putting 4 bettas in a 10 gallon (with separators) is only giving them not even a half a gallon of water each. Just something to consider if you wanted to give them more space.

oh, and it's easier to adjust a heater than it is to adjust a heat lamp.glasstapper 10/4=2.5 just so you know :thumb:
unless those are some big dividers.

jeffs99dime
01-29-2007, 02:37 AM
welcome to a.c.

sergo
01-29-2007, 02:40 AM
welcome to a.c.what he said too... welcome

Courtni522
01-29-2007, 02:41 AM
the lamp i have shining on my tanks is actually for reptiles, but if you could buy small tank heaters i would recommend that first, because my tanks are relatively small and probably easier to heat with such a mild source as a light. not only that, but it can be difficult to position the light so that it gives off enough heat. it was a cheap alternative for me, however. about glasstapper's post though, ten gallons between four fish is plenty of room, its not .5 gallons each. you should be good to go :)

blue fin
01-29-2007, 02:45 AM
glasstapper 10/4=2.5 just so you know :thumb:
unless those are some big dividers.

I think she may be referring to the fact that a 10 gallon tank is not long and if divided into 4 sections that doesn't leave lots of swimming room for each fish, I would recommend they be left in one tank with lots of plants and hiding spots for each fish to see if they can get along. I would only isolate them if they don't seem to be getting along.

bubble_bee
01-29-2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the advice and the welcomes guys! I was actually thinking of the heating lamp as a heater for their bowls...it definitely wouldn't work for a 10 G! The divider idea is a bit short of swimming room, but it would most likely be better than their current living conditions. I'm a bit scared to put them all in together though...has anyone done this? How did it work out for you? I would think that a 10 G would be too small to give them all their own "territories"?

Thanks again!

f1oored
01-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Putting four bettas in a 10 gallon tank together without dividers will likely result in 3 dead bettas and one very tired champ. Some people put male bettas in the same tank but we are talking about very big tanks here. The most I would try is 2 in a 55 gallon. Putting 4 males in a ten gallon is going to be like putting four males in a 2 liter. It won't make any difference how many hiding places there are.

minabird
01-29-2007, 12:57 PM
I tried to put 3 female bettas in a 10 gal tank with no success. They all tore into each other for about a week until all I had was 3 tired bettas with torn fins who still had enough spunk to go another 10 rounds with each other.

I agree with floored and wouldn't recommend trying to put your 4 bettas in the 10 without any dividers.

Yes, there won't be alot of swimming room, but it'll be better than the bowls they are currently in because you can put in a proper tank heater and add filtration to the tank, which will be a better environment than their bowls. Also, if it's a standard 10 gal leader tank, (20"x10.5"x12.5"), each betta will have 5"x10.5" space to swim; not great, but better than the typical bettas bowls that stores sell. And definitely alot more room than the tupperware container they are sold in.

Lady Hobbs
01-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I would put no more than 2 in a divided tank. Dividing it into four sections is leaving them with no swimming area at all. I'd sooner see them alone in large vases. Filter will not work making so many divisions, either.

bettaboy691
01-29-2007, 04:12 PM
i think you should stick with 2 bettas in a devided tank.5 gallons each.the heaters and filters would work though all the tank and your bettas would love you for giving them so much room compared to those death cups they are sold in

bubble_bee
01-30-2007, 05:06 AM
hmm...I might have to set up more than one tank. Thanks everyone!

Drumachine09
01-30-2007, 05:20 AM
i think you should stick with 2 bettas in a devided tank.5 gallons each.the heaters and filters would work though all the tank and your bettas would love you for giving them so much room compared to those death cups they are sold in

Death cups, that has a nice ring to it!