PDA

View Full Version : mature tank question

annie p
12-29-2008, 07:49 PM
In researching reef tanks I see the phrase " mature tank" but never an explanation of what that is exactly. What happens after the tank is cycled and a year later? If someone could explain or post a link I would appreciate it!!!!:goldfish:

Fishguy2727
12-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Some people would tell you a reef tank never really fully matures, it is always changing. But in general the definition for a mature reef tank can vary dramatically depending on who you are talking to and what exactly is being discussed. Some simply consider a cycled tank with fully cured live rock as mature. Others don't consider it mature until all the little algae cycles are done, some time between the first 6 and 12 months. It really means that the tank is stable and ready for the more sensitive inhabitants.

oldhead
12-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I've always subscribed to the idea that tank maturity is 1 to 2 years in once all the algae stages have been completed. I find this to be the typical school of thought.

cocoa_pleco
12-29-2008, 08:04 PM
mature tanks have stable chemistry and no ammonia and nitrite spikes, and little nitrate. the algae cycles are also already finished. the general rule is that it takes a year to mature but some peoples tanks have crashed at a year and a half and even 2 years old so theres no set date for how long it takes to mature

kaybee
12-29-2008, 11:50 PM
I'll add that a tank's "maturity" is subject to existing/continuing (and hopefully improving) care.