PDA

View Full Version : Cherry barbs?

barbnubee
01-28-2007, 09:56 PM
I just got three cherry barbs for my ten gallon tank. They've been in there for 3 days. They have been staying in one corner by the filter I guess riding the waves. One of the female (there is 1m, 2f) stays by her self a lot of the time. Sometimes she plays with the others but she seems a lot shyer than them. Also they put their noses up to the side of the glass like their staring at their reflection. Is all of this normal???

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 09:59 PM
should be. Just watch that theres no outbreak of disease or anything.

My glowlight tetras stay in the exact same spots almost all day by the filter.

Glasstapper
01-28-2007, 10:18 PM
If they've only been in your tank for a few days, they may be pretty shy at first. They're just getting used to their home, is all. Also, it helps if you have some decorations in the tank to help them feel like exploring and it helps make them feel more safe if there are places to hide. Bushy plants (real or fake) seems to be a favorite among smaller fish.

And yes, most fish do catch their own reflection and react to it.

Lady Hobbs
02-04-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm surprised that on this site hardly anyone has mentioned cherry barbs. I don't have any yet myself but they are generally a pretty popular fish. I would think they'd be quite pretty having a large group of them.

As Glasstapper said, they just need to get used to their new home. Hope you enjoy them.

Willyleigh
02-09-2007, 11:03 AM
I had the same problem with my new Tiger barbs, all of them hid behind one plant and didn't move, I left the light off for a day or two and after that they had calmed down, they act totally normally now.

minabird
02-09-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm still trying to decide between either harlequin rasboras or cherry barbs for my 28gal. I"ll probably get both and see which ones do better with the betta that's already in there and then move the other school into my 10 gal.

Severus
02-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Be careful putting barbs in with your Betta. The barbs can be very nippy and a Bettas fins will be quite tempting!

minabird
02-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Be careful putting barbs in with your Betta. The barbs can be very nippy and a Bettas fins will be quite tempting!

I'm concerned about that also. However, I have read posts on other forums where people have had luck with cherry barbs and bettas. Others have posted where their bettas terrorized the barbs. Like everything else, alot of conflicting info, depending on the tempermants of the fish. I'd like to keep the cherry barbs since they're great looking fish and also since they're nearly extinct in the wild. I'll keep an eye on them and move them to 1 of my spare 10 gals.

Severus
02-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Yea, it might work out fine. Just watch them and be ready for anything! lol

Nautilus291
02-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Am I right in saying cherry barbs arnt schooling fish? I though I read that somewhere.

Severus
02-09-2007, 10:05 PM
All barbs are schooling fish. Including Cherry Barbs

Nick_Pavlovski
05-28-2007, 05:14 AM
I'm (finances permitting) giving Cherry Barbs a go in my new tank.
If interested, can let you know how they go.
A "barb blog".

Nick_Pavlovski
05-30-2007, 05:42 AM
...cancel that.
I'm going with Lemon Tetras.