PDA

View Full Version : Help -- Cycling Question

geowashlaw
12-29-2008, 06:02 PM
I've been cycling my new tank. I put ammonia in it the first time on 12 Dec. Nitrites and Nitrates showed up for the first time on 17 Dec. Nitrites were reading around 2 ppm and Nitrates at about 160 ppm. By 24 December Nitrites were still around 2ppm and Nitrates had fallen to about 20 ppm. 24 December was the last day I added ammonia. We were headed out of town, so I threw three little silvertip tetras in with a weekend feeder. I happened to be back in town for a doctor's appointment on 27 Dec and tested the tank. Nitrites had shot up to about 5 ppm and Nitrates back to 160 ppm. We came home today and Nitrites are at .25 ppm and Nitrates are 0 ppm. The three silvertips are all alive and seem to be doing fine. What does this mean?

Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Seems to be one goofed up cycle with a mind of it's own. But it does sound as those nitrites are disappearing and you have a nearly cycled tank. Just remember that 3 little tetra's haven't given you a huge bacteria load so add new fish slowly when you start adding.

I mentioned in my PM to you a few days ago that my nitrates did the same thing........just disappeared like that. I never did know why.

Northernguy
12-29-2008, 06:28 PM
I would be blaming the weekend feeder for the foul up.
Start with a large water change and test again tomorrow.

geowashlaw
12-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Seems to be one goofed up cycle with a mind of it's own. But it does sound as those nitrites are disappearing and you have a nearly cycled tank. Just remember that 3 little tetra's haven't given you a huge bacteria load so add new fish slowly when you start adding.

I mentioned in my PM to you a few days ago that my nitrates did the same thing........just disappeared like that. I never did know why.

Thanks! I also chose not to do the dead fish thing. I just couldn't get past the icky part of putting dead fish in my tank to rot while I was away. That's why I chose the tetras.

I think I have super-bacteria. My nitrates in my current tank always test at 0, even though some say that you can never get rid of them completely. I seeded the tank with stuff from that tank.

geowashlaw
12-29-2008, 06:47 PM
one other fact ... on 24 December I gravel vaccumed my old tank and put all the gunk into the new tank ... I had also rinsed the filter from the old tank into it several times over the last couple of weeks ...

Northernguy
12-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Those weekend feeders are notorious for messing with your perameters.
When you do a water change rinse the filter media from that tank not another tank.

Wild Turkey
12-29-2008, 08:23 PM
one other fact ... on 24 December I gravel vaccumed my old tank and put all the gunk into the new tank ... I had also rinsed the filter from the old tank into it several times over the last couple of weeks ...

K that explains why you are getting old nitrate readings.

Agree with hobbs. sounds like its all going to plan just getting odd trate readings from adding stuff from the other tank.

geowashlaw
12-29-2008, 10:08 PM
K that explains why you are getting old nitrate readings.

Agree with hobbs. sounds like its all going to plan just getting odd trate readings from adding stuff from the other tank.

But my nitrate reading is always 0 in my old tank ...

Nitrites went to 0 this afternoon .... so now I'm at Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0 and Ammonia 0 ...