PDA

View Full Version : keeping my betta warm

barbnubee
01-28-2007, 09:44 PM
I am temporarily keeping my new betta in a fish bowl and will soon be adding her to my ten gallon. When I go to school (and my parents to work) we cut the heat off, and where I am it can get pretty cold during a winter day. I was thinking about wrapping her bowl in some old t-shirts to keep the water warm. Will this work? Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do?

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 09:49 PM
for the bowl, go with a warm light and yes, t-shirts, or maybe close to the furnace.

For the ten gallon, which is alot easier, use a 50W heater :1::1::1::1:

Glasstapper
01-28-2007, 11:05 PM
The t-shirts won't really help much to keep the water warm. The only way clothes are an effective way to keep warm is if the thing (people) can maintain their own body heat, therefore helping to keep heat in. Your water and fish do not maintain heat, therefore t-shirts won't help.

Placing the fish near a furnace will overheat the water will severely stress your fish and/or kill it.

While you have the bowl, placing it in the most stable temperature is key. Bettas are pretty hardy and can withstand temperatures wamer or cooler than normal, but steady and stable is the key. You can't have the temperature fluctuating up and down at all (like if it was near a furnace that cut on and off throughout the day).

Possibly the living room somewhere set at about chest level to you is the most stable temperature in the room because it is a large room and air near the ceiling is too hot and air near the floor is too cold.

Get her in that 10 gallon with a heater as soon as possible.

Lady Hobbs
01-29-2007, 02:54 AM
Try to get her in that 10 gallon with a heater as soon as possible. Betta's will get lethargic when too chilly. And glasstapper is correct. Too many temps changes are not good for them.

cocoa_pleco
01-29-2007, 03:28 AM
Yes. Get her in the 10g soon to prevent illness