PDA

View Full Version : cichlid compability.

dancethenparty
12-29-2008, 07:00 AM
a while back i was recommended to get a pair of rams and house it in my 20 gallon tank along with my african dwarf frogs. well now that i have a bristlenose pleco as well as my adfs in my 20 gallon. i've been considering it. i've looked them up and noticed that they can get aggressive while spawning.
that little bit of underlined info got to me thinking:
1. is there a cichlid that doesn't get aggressive while spawning.
2.if by somehow i got a: only-aggressive-while-breeding cichlid pair, and they did actually breed, and then my adfs, (being the pigs they are) decided they wanted to snack on the eggs, how much damage would the cichlids do?
(these questions are more out of curiosity, i'm not saying i would get a pair because a) no idea what i could do with the babies, or even if i could give them away to someone
b)don't want an overpoluated tank.)

okay so i guess my real question is: what cichlid would do well with adfs,BN, and rasboras,possibly tetras? i thinking about only getting one sex, probably female.

KingFisher
12-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I think the GBRs would be fine in your tank. Their aggression while spawning is usually nothing more than herding the other fish away from their spawning area. Both my pairs have spawned several times and none of my other fish have been harmed by them.

dancethenparty
12-29-2008, 07:07 PM
sweet thanks.that makes me feeel whole better.