PDA

View Full Version : Why won't they pair up?

Johna
12-29-2008, 03:25 AM
I currently have a 55 gal set up with 4 half dollar (or slightly larger) body sized angels, a pair of German Blue Rams, and 3 ottos. My plan was to let an angel pair form, and then move the other 2 angels to a 40 gal. I got them in June, and they were about nickel sized, maybe a little bigger. The tank has a gravel substrate with drift wood and Amazon swords. Ammo-0, Trites-0, Trates-5-10. I do weekly water changes of 30-35%. I'm having a problem with the PH going up from 7.0 (tap) to 8.0 when I test the tank. (There is a detailed post in the general forum.) I have been feeding Omega One flakes, Hakari pellets, and adding frozen brine shrimp and blood worms a couple of times a week. Are they big enough to pair up? I've read that there is about a 7% chance that I have fish that are all one sex. Could this be the problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dave66
12-29-2008, 03:51 AM
First, four is too small a group, and your chances for a compatible pair is very small. If you'd got six, you'd have a 75 percent chance for a pair, eight, 92 percent. Just like people, Angelfish need more of their kind to select a mate that suits them.
What do you use for water tests, and what decorations and substrate is in the tank? If the pH is rising like that, there is something in the tank adding hardness that drives the pH up.

Dave

Demi ^_^
12-29-2008, 04:10 AM
True ^^

I had 6 bubby Angels in my 42g to establish a pair. 1 Angel was given to a friend and the biggest Angel ended up getting seriously bullied. The last 4 Angels turned out to be 2 pairs :))

Fortunately I haven't had huge aggressive flare-ups!

Johna
12-29-2008, 04:59 AM
I bought 6 locally raised angels from a LFS. One died almost as soon as I got it home, and I suspect it was injured while the kid was catching it. I had one fish that never really grew, and was getting picked on. I moved him to my 47 gal community, and he seems healthy and happy, but is still not growing. He eats very well. Is there such thing as a "runt" angel? The substrate I have is just the basic aquarium gravel from PetSmart, and the only other decor in the tank is driftwood and 2 Amazon swords. I use an API water test kit. (Fill the test tubes and add the drops) Should I buy another kit? Filtration is a H.O.T. canister. A friend has an angel about the same size that he would like to give me. I thought it might be a bad idea to add more, but can and will if recommended.