PDA

View Full Version : Clowns preparing to mate?

labnjab
12-29-2008, 01:26 AM
The past 2 days, I've noticed the clowns, particularly the female, cleaning off the side of a rock, picking algae off, and knocking sand off. I've also noticed her becoming extremely aggressive to anything that comes near it. I have witnessed her picking a hermit, an astrea, and even a very large Mexican turbo off of the spot (flipped the turbo snail on his back, lol). Is she preparing to breed?

The only thing that strikes me as odd is she leaves the clown goby alone and he stays just a few inches from her spot all day long, and even allows him to sleep in the same spot.

Dave66
12-29-2008, 01:56 AM
The clowns naturally breed at the base of anemones, but it sounds like the female is making do on a rock. Adult clowns usually spawn in aquariums, but the larvae have an extended pelagic period (about a week to 10 days, depending on the species) so you have no hope of raising the fry in a home reef tank.

Dave

labnjab
12-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Thank you Dave, So far there's no eggs, but she is still picking at that rock and won't allow anyone near the spot aside from the male and clown goby near the spot. How big do the males get before they are mature, because I still thought our male was a juvi? He's just over an inch long