PDA

View Full Version : glass shrimp

oliver94
12-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi,
I'm new here

2 days ago I bought 6 glass shrimp (Paratya australiensis)4 female full of eggs so I've put them alone I don't know anything about how the newborn are born? need a transfer to sea water ??...

Thanks in advanced!to your helps!

W_Oz
12-28-2008, 10:04 PM
The biggest problem with the glass shrimp is the nauplius larva. They can't swim against any kind of current really and are readily ingested by either fish or aquarium pumps/filters. Your best bet for keeping the generations rolling is to have them isolated (as you have) with a seasoned filter in tank (which you might not), and have a sponge or UGF system working for you. Salt isn't required based on the readings I've done with these shrimp, although it seems that point is a bit controversial.

What seems to work best for generating populations of ghost/glass shrimp is to put them into a tub by themselves and let them go to town. The stories of people breaking down aquariums but leaving water in them then forgetting them for a while have generated large breeding populations of these critters. Since they are a scavenger type of animal they'll eat most of the detritus around the aquarium and produce minimal waste themselves.

Anyway, welcome to AC and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Amazon
12-28-2008, 11:39 PM
i catch these all the time in my pond we call them grass shrimp i do not think they need any salt because theyre naturally pond shrimp where there is usually no saltwater at all but they are really cool i have some in a 29g outside with a siren.

toddnbecka
12-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Basically, forget about raising any shrimp larvae that need salt water to develop, then move back into fresh. It's simply more trouble than it's worth. If you want to rasie shrimp go with a fw species like cherry shrimp that don't have a larval stage, and leave the others to the research scientists or hobbyists with too much time on their hands... LOL

oliver94
12-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Thank you for all your support!
so if the reproduction is made in fresh water so I think it is not too difficult .. I will put the female in a container without filters .. (I'm changing a little water every 2 days)
and when the female gives birth I removed and I raise small

I have just a few questions:

1-when the babies are born how measure it? can i see them?

2-females eat their young?

3-how long is that the larva mauphlius to turn into miniature parents?

Thank you in advance!

korith
12-29-2008, 08:44 AM
I have just a few questions:

1-when the babies are born how measure it? can i see them?

2-females eat their young?

3-how long is that the larva mauphlius to turn into miniature parents?

Thank you in advance!

They don't eat their own young as far I know. Very hard to see the babies, as they don't really have any colour to them.

I think you can read up more on the glass shrimp in the invertebrates articles section here on this site. (click on the invertebrates link on the left side of the page. They get mistaken for ghost shrimp a lot, so you can read info on those as well, should be fairly similar.

oliver94
12-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Thank you I read it, but I did not find too much information about the reproduction ... I just found that it's ''difficult''to feed the babies (personally ''no'', I will put a piece of a plant who have algae or infusoria )
can i success whit this??

thank you very much!:ssmile:

terrapin24h
12-31-2008, 04:02 AM
Thank you I read it, but I did not find too much information about the reproduction ... I just found that it's ''difficult''to feed the babies (personally ''no'', I will put a piece of a plant who have algae or infusoria )
can i success whit this??

thank you very much!:ssmile:

isn't there some liquid food you're supposed to feed them? I seem to recall one, or some powder that you mix into the tank. Of course it dirties the heck out of the tank requiring frequent water changes.

--chris

Amazon
12-31-2008, 04:05 AM
arent glass shrimp just another name for grass shrimp?

korith
12-31-2008, 04:47 AM
arent glass shrimp just another name for grass shrimp?

and ghost shrimp, some people use the names interchangeably. I think there is a difference in them not sure though.