PDA

View Full Version : Which tank/photo would you choose?

PUNISHER VETTE
12-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Thinking about TOTM again. I think everything resets for this new year coming up right? because my 110g won it in 2008 so it might not even be eligible if the rules have changed.

Anywhooo. I know the big tank might be better but maybe i should start out with the small shrimp tank and wait for a while on the 110g for my fish stock to increase and plants to grow in more then they are already.

I probably wont use these photos but something close to them. So if you see something you don't like then let me know and i'll look into changing them for the competition photos.

And i already know about the equipment and glare on the 110g and will fix that for the next photo.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1595/132/40/1926976/n1926976_47056461_8285.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1595/132/40/1926976/n1926976_47056552_6611.jpg

korith
12-28-2008, 06:55 AM
The second one appeals more to me. Seems more lively to me with all the greenery. Oh the darker substrate in it too.

OscarFan
12-28-2008, 06:56 AM
I personally like the bottom won better. But both are nice

sandy_n
12-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Hard decision but I think I'd go for the second one.

cocoa_pleco
12-28-2008, 07:33 AM
second one, the light in the first one is picked up too much and makes the roots really bright killing the picture

kathyshovel
12-28-2008, 07:39 AM
:fish: i love the second tank the first one nice too id like to a photo without the glare but they look great all same.

Kemppy
12-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I like the second one also.

Lady Hobbs
12-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Vette, the photos that go in the contests are on the Que. No names are put on the photos so they are kept anonymous so we don't know who they belong to (which was requested by members). It hardly makes much sense to judge a photo here, knowing it's yours, then seeing it in the contests under "anonymous", does it? We also don't pre-judge each photo to have members picking out the best one before the photo is entered or everyone else would be doing that, as well.

I love both your tanks (!!!!) but really, pre-judging photos is not the fair way of doing things, IMO.

The contests do not start over each January. Only the MOTM.

You can only win one award for the same photo. If your photo has already won in POTM, TOTM, AOTM, CPOTM or Runner-Up in either of those contests or it has won the Photo Excellence Award, you cannot use that same photo again.

Wild Turkey
12-28-2008, 03:05 PM
I agree hobbs, but what should we do then?

When i post a set of pictures i exclude the ones i think may be POTM material, but ive always pondered what to do about totm, since the only real way to keep people in the dark would be to not post any pics of the tank at all.

This is a tricky one, that ive been rolling around in my head for a while.
I mean to be completely honest i can usually tell whos tanks both 1st and 2nd place are the entire time and im sure it was the same for most who spend a lot of time on AC

Either way great pics punn, i also like the second one best.

smaug
12-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Yup,thats a fine line.We shouldnt be prescreening our entries amongst ourselves but the long timers here already have a good idea whos tank is whos anyway.BTW,nice pics vette.

Lady Hobbs
12-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Jess is running the contests but us Mods all need to get the rules straight in our heads, as well, so we can help others when Jess is not here. Trying to run contests anonymously, I think, is nearly impossible just because of these situations.

This is up to Jess to figure out but in all honesty, pre-judging on a photo prior to putting it in a contest seems unfair to me if you plan to run the contests anonymously. Personally, I could care less about this little detail but others will and it could become an issue. And knowing the contests as I do, it will.

It all comes down to the anonymous thing that doesn't work (to me).

Smaug, you're right on. I can go thru the contests and just know who's pic is who's because I've already seen it in other threads. LOL I never voted on the person, anyway, but on the tank as I think we all did.

Wild Turkey
12-28-2008, 03:36 PM
I never voted on the person, anyway, but on the tank as I think we all did.

Ed Zachery.

PUNISHER VETTE
12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
To be honest i don't see anything wrong with putting my photos up for judging to try and improve them....that's what this section is for.

It's not really about pre-judging but more about trying to find errors or things people may not like in some of the photos.

What would be the difference between someones blog or this? Both show pictures of their tanks and can accept comments and suggestions.

I did ask which one they though was better tank wise..
but this also saved me the embarrassment of putting in an invalid tank or one that nobody likes very much.

Lady Hobbs
12-28-2008, 06:05 PM
I know you meant nothing by it and I'm sorry I hijacked your thread to post my question/concern. It's hard for me to try to explain rules to someone when I can't understand them myself! I just wanted to make sure everyone had the same playing field in the contests and was not trying to get so technical!

Mith
04-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Seems if ya want anonymity, you should remove all photo threads thus removing any possible previewing of any photos. I would hope that if otherwise, that the judge would be impartial and fair in the event that the jujdge recognised a particular members tank photo. At some point, you have to place trust in the judges integrity.

fins_n_fur
04-14-2009, 10:42 PM
We are, indeed, trying to keep the contests as anonymous as we can to try to minimize a popularity contest and encourage creativity, fairness, and a level playing field. Probably a better post would have been to ask for feedback on your tank pictures rather than saying you want to enter one as TOTM--just my opinion, mind you. Some of us have pretty good memories--I for one surely recognize some photos or styles pretty quickly, but am not always correct. I'd like to think that it doesn't color my judgement when voting, but the voting is subjective as to what we like or not like.

No one should ever be embarrassed by a photo entry to any contest. If you think it is good, then it's good enough to be entered. If I had to choose between your two photos, I would choose the second one. FYI, as it's a new year, you are eligible to enter into TOTM.

Mith
04-19-2009, 11:35 PM
From now on, only post crappy pictures.....save the good ones for the contests.....lol