PDA

View Full Version : week 3 no ammonia changes

snipesxxx
12-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Title says it all. Still reads 4-5 on the ammonia, no nitrites or anything. Temp is at 84, air stone and all have been going.

Why is the ammonia not moving? Using API Mast Test. I've got to where I am checking it every few days instead of everyday.

Northernguy
12-24-2008, 09:00 PM
What are your w/cs like?How much,how often?

snipesxxx
12-24-2008, 09:14 PM
non, I heard no fish no changes needed? Should have mentioned this is a fishless cycle.

Lady Hobbs
12-24-2008, 09:39 PM
LOL Well, when you say ammonia is at 4-5, that much we can rather guess. No fish would be alive at those levels.

Something is just wrong here. You should have shown nitrites by about the 4th day.

Would you mind explaining exactly how you've done this so far, if the ammonia you are using is pure and has no additives, did you use bacteria boosters, etc, etc.

Lady Hobbs
12-24-2008, 09:54 PM
PS.......Make sure your test kit vials set for about 5 minutes when you mix the liquids together. Make sure vials are rinsed out very well between tests, too. And shake them well before using and after adding the liquids together.

Have you got your filter going?

fishbum
12-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Are you adding pure ammonia,or are you using something else like raw shrimp,or adding fish food to the tank?

snipesxxx
12-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Filled tank, added ammonia and thats it. I was first using test strips but once they was gone I changed to liquid.

At one time I though I might have put to much ammonia in(when using the strips) I did do a partial water change. Once my liquid tests came little over a week ago I tested and it showed 4-5 and has remained there.

Only thing that might be different then most is I originally had fish in this and was recommended giving them back and going fishless cycle. So my filter is nasty which I haven't touched. I am using 10% Ace Hardware Ammonia Janitor Strength or something. Few days ago I did add just a pinch of fish flakes.

Lady Hobbs
12-24-2008, 10:27 PM
You are using a filter, tho, right? You have to have the filter for something for the bacteria to grow in.

snipesxxx
12-24-2008, 11:59 PM
yep filter been running since day one(over a month). Would the crap that came from the fish that is in the filter mess with the cycle?

Lady Hobbs
12-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Should have no bearing on it but if it's a mess you may as well add some new stuff now before you start your cycle so you can use it for some time. I just don't understand what's happening ........or lack thereof........and have never heard of not getting nitrites so this long. A week would be about on target.

You are using a dechlorinator for your water, right? I am just at a total loss here!! What size is your tank? And do you have any friends who have fish that you could steal some filter media from?

snipesxxx
12-25-2008, 03:43 AM
Its a 29gal, yeah I am starting to get frustrated with it, this is my first tank and I want to get some fish. It will be about a month Monday and right now nothing. Every time I check the water conditions and they remain the same it makes me want to just give up, but I just keep waiting.

I use stress coat whenever I do partial water changes. I don't know anyone with a tank, I even went as far as putting a ad on craigslist to see if someone local had a tank and to give me some gravel or something with no luck. Couple days ago I called my LFS and asked if they could give me a cup or two of used gravel and even said I would buy it. They said they don't do that and recommended me some Tetra Safestart which I don't plan on buying. But I guess if all else fails I might buy some and add some fish and see how that goes.

snipesxxx
12-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Here are some pics of the ammonia and tank. Do you all see anything that might be wrong with anything?

Ammonia:
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9571/002el0.jpg
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/1640/003xn7.jpg
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/3199/004mw0.jpg

Tank:
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/568/007ol4.jpg

White buildup from water drops(from bubbles):
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/7761/011hq2.jpg

Lady Hobbs
12-25-2008, 11:05 AM
There is not one thing wrong with what you're doing as far as I can see and your tank is very cute. I sure can understand the frustration at this point and I'm at a total loss to explain why you're having this problem.

No point in having someone mail you gravel or filter media because the bacteria in it would be dead by the time it reached your house unless they added a tad of ammonia to the bag. The Tetra SafeStart would be fine if you were not using ammonia but will only skew with your numbers if going fishless but it's like......what numbers? LOL Filter media has far more bacteria in it than the gravel so if you can get anything, get good used dirty filter media.

You do not need to do water changes when going fishless. You only change the water to keep the fish alive when fishy cycling. The whole point in going fishless is so you don't have all that work to do each day and waste your dechlorinator.

You add enough ammonia to register 4-5. When it begans to drop you add just enough ammonia to bring that level back to 4-5 again.....one time per day and when you began to see nitrites, drop back the ammonia to about 2 each day. No water changes until you are all done, show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and have high nitrates. THEN you do your water change to bring the nitrates below 20 and add your fishies.

When you do your testing, let the liquids sit in that vial for about 5 minutes. It takes a while for the colors to change.

What have you for a filter? I'm curious about what you have in there to catch the debris. In other words, what is the filter media.....floss, an insert, a sponge? Doesn't matter but I am just being nosey. You have not changed it since you started cycling, have you? Or cleaned your gravel or done anything like that?

Lady Hobbs
12-25-2008, 12:12 PM
I am still sitting here stewing over this tank of yours and am determined to figure this out. (It's a genetic thing.)

The thought come to me that I wonder, just wonder, if you did not check for nitrites or nitrates for several days if that tank might have cycled and you didn't know it? Could that be possible at all? Having 0 nitrates would not be a mystery because your tank is bare of all waste and you have done all those water changes. (My very clean tanks also have 0 nitrates.)

It just struck me that "possibly" your tank already cycled without you knowing it by not reading your tests correctly or letting the test vials sit long enough to get a proper reading and you have more ammonia in that tank than your bacteria can possible get rid of. Your filter media can only accomodate just so much bacteria and you may have overfed yours by adding so much ammonia.

(Those test vials must be rinsed out several times or your tests will be skewed by remaining testing residue in them. When I first started testing, I also would mix the liquids, look at it and dump it. I was not aware you should leave it sit for several minutes to get true readings.)

I know the Janitoral Strength ammonia is much stronger than the stuff in the bottle and you did say you added too much when you first started out. Your filter media can only hold so much bacteria and perhaps you have given that tank far more ammonia than your bacteria surface can accomodate. Like, toss a whale in your tank and even if you have a cycle, you will still get an ammonia spike......right?

Absolutely nothing else here makes any sense to me at all and no way does it take one whole month with no nitrites yet showing. You should not be sitting here looking at any empty tank all this time if: you have used dechlorinator, have done no cleaning, have not changed filter media, had the heat raised and aerated the tank.

You are one extremely patient person and I commend you on your patience and your willingness to do what's right for your future fishies!!!!!!!!

But my impatience would have me doing something else by now. I believe I would do a large water change, like 75%, refill as normal and add no more ammonia to that tank other than enough to register around .50 and see what happens by tomorrow. If that ammonia is then 0, I would add some fish. If you can not add fish then, add a few "drops" of ammonia again just to keep the bacteria alive.......assuming you have bacteria.

You should have begun to see nitrites quite frankly by about day 5-7, nitrites for about 2 weeks max and done! To not be going anywhere in one whole month is messed up.

snipesxxx
12-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I am using a Tetra Whisper 20-40(came from wal-mart) with factory filter and stuff. About a week ago I added a piece of aquaclear foam block in the back of the filter for little extra filtering. If the tank was cycled shouldn't the ammonia be going away? Its not budging. Stays a dark green(4-5) looks closer to a 4. When I posted a ad I was looking for someone local that way I could go pick it up. But I've had no luck there either. Maybe I'll give it another week or two.

Lady Hobbs
12-25-2008, 03:04 PM
That could be it then. Adding new media is about like giving everything a cleaning. I was not aware of this new media so that puts a whole new spin on this.

snipesxxx
12-25-2008, 03:54 PM
That could be it then. Adding new media is about like giving everything a cleaning. I was not aware of this new media so that puts a whole new spin on this.

Don't see how adding a small piece of foam would affect things since the bacteria is suppose to grow on hard surfaces and in the original filter media itself. The ammonia should have still dropped at least some.

But it could be.

lovleeko
12-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I am having the same problem on on of my tanks that used to be cycled. Ammonia in tank for a month. All nitrates are gone no nitrites to be seen. Still waiting:14: Never had this problem before. I'm sick of it. I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on. The tank had been cycled for over a year. I pretty much know what I did to screw it up but after that, it has been hard to get things back in order and no nitrates is a huge mystery with me. I'm crossing my fingers for both of us :)

snipesxxx
12-26-2008, 03:59 AM
I am having the same problem on on of my tanks that used to be cycled. Ammonia in tank for a month. All nitrates are gone no nitrites to be seen. Still waiting:14: Never had this problem before. I'm sick of it. I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on. The tank had been cycled for over a year. I pretty much know what I did to screw it up but after that, it has been hard to get things back in order and no nitrates is a huge mystery with me. I'm crossing my fingers for both of us :)

what did you do to screw it up?

lovleeko
12-26-2008, 04:18 AM
Well I know what screwed up the original cycle. Not what is inhibiting nitrite. But I do have fish in it and have to do water changes, so four weeks on mine is a bit less extreme than you who has had no water changes :) Boy your patient.

I switched from carbon filter cartridges to do it your self media. Meaning I bought some foam, cut it to fit and shoved it in there. LOL This way I dont have to replace those stupid carbon carts all the time. But I didn't leave the new in with the old media long enough because there wasn't really enough room and I got in a rush. Shortly after that, I changed the substrate from gravel to sand. I just got in a rush and made a rookie mistake :( Too much bacteria gone at one time :(

snipesxxx
12-26-2008, 04:51 AM
I see :D.

I am giving it till Monday and if the nitrites ain't showing by then I am gonna take the old dirty filter out and start with a new one and will probably clean the gravel good. Something has to be keeping the bacteria from growing somewhere. I just don't know what to do really.

Is it possible the fish I had in there had something wrong with them which got into the filter which could be killing off the bacteria?

neo-fight
12-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Did you ever succeed? I'm in the same boat, but I've only waited for a week ,but there has been no change in readings for two days so I stopped adding ammonia. I also did everything correctly. If you were successful, let me know what you did?

fishbum
12-27-2008, 01:22 PM
I see :D.

I am giving it till Monday and if the nitrites ain't showing by then I am gonna take the old dirty filter out and start with a new one and will probably clean the gravel good. Something has to be keeping the bacteria from growing somewhere. I just don't know what to do really.

Is it possible the fish I had in there had something wrong with them which got into the filter which could be killing off the bacteria?
No,the fish wouldn't kill the bacteria.
Take some water to Petco or Petsmart.Have them test it and see what their results are before you tear it down and start over.I doubt you have bad tests,but you never know,and it would be easier to double check then to start from scratch.
The one thing I can think of that would keep the nitrite at 0 would be you have overdosed on the ammonia at some point.The ammonia needs to be below 5ppm.If it gets and stays above that,it can screw up the cycle.
Are you continuing to add ammonia?Have you ever seen it drop below the 4 or 5ppm?
The first fishless cycle I did,I used raw shrimp.I got one jumbo raw shrimp,tied it in some panty hose,tossed it in my 30 gallon,and the rest is history.I just tested to see where the cycle was at and when it completed.The advantage of this method is you do not have to add more ammonia.The raw shrimp provides a constant source of it.

snipesxxx
12-27-2008, 06:45 PM
I bit the bullet and called one more place. Some dude answered and apparently knew little bit about fishless cycle. However he only really heard of the fish flake method. He didn't mind one bit to give me a couple hand full of gravel.

He recommended dropping the ammonia to 0.25 and temp to 76-78. Guessing I should keep things as is and add gravel to stockings?

fishbum
12-27-2008, 08:32 PM
I personally don't believe that gravel will help that much.Filter media on the other hand,is where the bacteria that you need is.There is probably some in the gravel,espically if a undergravel filter is used,but if you can get him to give you some media,you'll be a lot better off.
Is the ammonia level in your tank droping at all by itself?
Have you stopped doing water changes?

snipesxxx
12-27-2008, 08:38 PM
I personally don't believe that gravel will help that much.Filter media on the other hand,is where the bacteria that you need is.There is probably some in the gravel,espically if a undergravel filter is used,but if you can get him to give you some media,you'll be a lot better off.
Is the ammonia level in your tank droping at all by itself?
Have you stopped doing water changes?

Well its all I got :scry: so we will have to see if it helps any. I haven't been doing water changes and the ammonia wasn't dropping one bit. The dude probably won't give me any media because that would require him to do more and if hes not the owner it could get him in trouble.

Commodore 64
12-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Try water changing so that the ambient ammonia is 2 ppm.

What's your pH?. Ammonium Hydroxide is a base solution, perhaps your pH is way out of whack and not suitable for bacterial growth.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article14.html

"1. Use ammonium chloride, not ammonium hydroxide. Ammonia hydroxide will bring your pH too low and cause you to lose alkalinity and likewise your bacteria population."

snipesxxx
12-28-2008, 06:37 PM
PH stays in the 7.6 to 8.0 range. I did a water change and the ammonia is reading 1ppm I think I will leave it there for a day or two to see if it moves. It would be nice to see it actually go down. I'll probably crap my pants if I ever see the nitrites actually register.

Commodore 64
12-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah, after further research, I'm not too sanguine about the assertion that ammonium hydroxide is bad...

But I'm grasping at straws just like everyone else.

snipesxxx
12-29-2008, 03:14 PM
well the 1ppm hasn't budged. Really why is the ammonia just refusing to process? Is it possible the fish I had in there for a few weeks did something to the tank?

I am starting to wonder if something ain't wrong with my ammonia and just doing a complete water change. Maybe I should try adding a few fish flakes daily?

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't use the flakes. All that does is make a mess of your water and filter media and you get no readings that are consistant.

At this point, I would do a total water change (cleaning nothing) add some Tetra SafeStart or Stress Zyme and toss in some danio's. No point in sitting there just looking at this tank all this time.

Are you SURE you have been adding dechlorinator to all these water changes? If you forgot it even once, that would kill your bacteria.

snipesxxx
12-29-2008, 03:53 PM
been adding stress coat like my LFS suggested. I been adding 10ml per 10gal like directions say. If I do a 25% water change I will add about 8ml. I use a python siphon then I drain and fill the tank adding the stress coat while its filling. Is there a safer way?

Actually I think I may do what you said, add some danio's and either of those. LFS said they take trade in's and it will give me something to look at. You recommend Zyme or Safestart? How many danio's should I add?

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Nope. You're doing it exactly as it should be done, which is what leaves everyone here at a loss to explain your situation.

Use 2 tsp per 10 gallons on day 1, 7, and 14 for new aquariums. Add weekly in established aquariums, at the dose of 1 tsp per 10 gallons. 16 oz. treats 960 gallons.

Altho some of these bacteria boosters tend to help, they can also mess with your test numbers. The purpose of them is to hold these toxins down so the fish can survive which is why using them when you do a fishless cycle often just messes things up.

For instance, you add pure ammonia to bring those numbers up because it's those toxins that give you your cycle. But, you add the bacteria boosters and now you are holding those toxins down because it's made to keep fish alive when doing a cycle "with" fish. In other words, is skewing your test result numbers giving you inaccurate readings.

I would never advise a person to use both ammonia and boosters because of this. Either use fish to cycle and use the bac booster OR do a fishless with ammonia and just leave your tank go until you are finished and have your cycle. Test numbers you can trust are much more helpful than test numbers you can not trust.

fishbum
12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't use the flakes. All that does is make a mess of your water and filter media and you get no readings that are consistant.

At this point, I would do a total water change (cleaning nothing) add some Tetra SafeStart or Stress Zyme and toss in some danio's. No point in sitting there just looking at this tank all this time.

Are you SURE you have been adding dechlorinator to all these water changes? If you forgot it even once, that would kill your bacteria.

I agree,what are you planning on keeping after it has cycled?

snipesxxx
12-29-2008, 04:15 PM
k thx for the info, how many danio's should I add?

I agree,what are you planning on keeping after it has cycled?

I am still on the fence about this. I am still researching on what fish will be ok full grown in a 30gal and going from there. I'd like to get some pictus catfish but read they needed a bigger tank.

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I can't remember the size of your tank! sorry

snipesxxx
12-29-2008, 04:26 PM
just a 30gal

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Scratching my brain I believe you said a 29 gallon? If so, you could add a dozen danio's. But in my heart of heart, with numerous water changes, and adding stress zyme to each of them, who knows what your numbers could actually be? You may be showing a reading of 5 ammonia but with all the stress zyme added, you could be showing on your tester only 1. However, it would be a lesser form of ammonia that is not as toxic. It still should drop to 0 tho!

As I stated several posts back, I wouldn't be surprised if that tank is not already cycled and perhaps the stress zyme kept the nitrites from showing up. I just have no logical explanation of what went wrong with your cycle but something obviously did.

I would do "if I were you" a water change of half and add those danio's and let that tank go for awhile. There's just no reason for you to sit and look at this empty tank any longer.

lovleeko
12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
been adding stress coat like my LFS suggested. I been adding 10ml per 10gal like directions say. If I do a 25% water change I will add about 8ml. I use a python siphon then I drain and fill the tank adding the stress coat while its filling. Is there a safer way?

Actually I think I may do what you said, add some danio's and either of those. LFS said they take trade in's and it will give me something to look at. You recommend Zyme or Safestart? How many danio's should I add?

I would go with the safe start. IME it works wonders. I cycled a small tank in less than a week. It took six days. It was fully stocked as well. The zyme I haven't gotten the same results with. Though it is what I have been using lately trying to save money because the price is very different. Plus it takes stress zyme a few years to expire and the safe start only has a shelf life of one year. Which seems to indicate a more realistic view at this bacteria being alive. I'm no expert on bottled bacteria. Just my opinion. And in my experience the safe start at least ups the bar even if the zyme is good stuff.

Lady Hobbs
12-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Agree. I used the stress zyme just once and used it incorrectly. Too much. And my tank became a slime pit. You definately can add too much.

lovleeko
12-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I recently started using it for my tank that I lost cycle in. SO, I'm not sure what the zyme is doing yet. But the safe start kept my ammonia fully in check even when I was fully stocked and feeding everyday. It never went above .50 but the nitrites did have to be water changed out. They went up fast and I water changed them down to one and the next day they were almost gone then the next the tank was done. I'm sure at this point you would be glad to change nitrites down though :) Anyway, it's good stuff. Oh yeah, I used a lot more than what was needed for the tank size too. I dont know if that made a lot of difference.

snipesxxx
12-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Scratching my brain I believe you said a 29 gallon? If so, you could add a dozen danio's. But in my heart of heart, with numerous water changes, and adding stress zyme to each of them, who knows what your numbers could actually be? You may be showing a reading of 5 ammonia but with all the stress zyme added, you could be showing on your tester only 1. However, it would be a lesser form of ammonia that is not as toxic. It still should drop to 0 tho!

As I stated several posts back, I wouldn't be surprised if that tank is not already cycled and perhaps the stress zyme kept the nitrites from showing up. I just have no logical explanation of what went wrong with your cycle but something obviously did.

I would do "if I were you" a water change of half and add those danio's and let that tank go for awhile. There's just no reason for you to sit and look at this empty tank any longer.

I've never put zyme or any booster in my tank. I'll go with Safestart though and add some fish.

fishbum
12-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Make sure you have a plan for the danios before buying them.So if the danios are not going to be in your fully stocked tank,you might want to make sure you can return them when you buy them.

snipesxxx
12-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Make sure you have a plan for the danios before buying them.So if the danios are not going to be in your fully stocked tank,you might want to make sure you can return them when you buy them.

fish shop said they do trade ins. I don't mind keeping them though thats why I have another question. Whats the least amount of danios I can go with for the cycle on a 29gal? Also will any type of danios work?

BTW 1ppm ammonia still remains.

snipesxxx
12-30-2008, 07:44 PM
well I tested the nitrites again today and they are trying to register. Color is a darker blue(almost light purple 0.25). Only thing different is lower temps. I am dropping the temp to get the tank ready for the fish. This normal when temps get lower? Right now the temp is 79. Was around 84 a day or so ago.

lovleeko
12-31-2008, 12:23 AM
well I tested the nitrites again today and they are trying to register. Color is a darker blue(almost light purple 0.25). Only thing different is lower temps. I am dropping the temp to get the tank ready for the fish. This normal when temps get lower? Right now the temp is 79. Was around 84 a day or so ago.

Well warmer temps are supposed to help the bacteria grow faster. I'm no expert on fishless cycle as I have never done it but I have read that when you do one you keep the temps on the high side. YAY I'm jealous!!! I want nitrites!! LOL Never think your gonna say that:) I wish my tank would cycle. I have female bettas waiting to live in there. Their getting impatient :spam: Oh well their in quarantine right now anyway. Come on nitrites!!

snipesxxx
12-31-2008, 02:28 AM
Well warmer temps are supposed to help the bacteria grow faster. I'm no expert on fishless cycle as I have never done it but I have read that when you do one you keep the temps on the high side. YAY I'm jealous!!! I want nitrites!! LOL Never think your gonna say that:) I wish my tank would cycle. I have female bettas waiting to live in there. Their getting impatient :spam: Oh well their in quarantine right now anyway. Come on nitrites!!

Well I don't know why they are trying to register now. When I had the feeder fish in there temps stayed 72-74 and thats before I got the heater. I am anxious to see what they show tomorrow.

lovleeko
12-31-2008, 02:58 AM
Well I don't know why they are trying to register now. When I had the feeder fish in there temps stayed 72-74 and thats before I got the heater. I am anxious to see what they show tomorrow.

They probably would have shown up even with the temps higher. I'm glad it did though. IT gives me hope. I have been thinking of totally draining mine and going fishless to see if it speeds the process. Something else I was thinking of was doing a silent cycle with a whole load of plants. I am just tired of waiting. I have never had to wait this long on one of my tanks to cycle. I have used safe start on both tanks I cycled recently and had awesome results that way. I'm just recouping my losses from christmas and dont want to fork out the cash.

Lady Hobbs
12-31-2008, 03:10 AM
Dropping temps now will slow your cycle back down. You need to leave things as they are. It only takes a few hours for the temps to drop in a tank so you can turn the temp down the day before you get fish.

snipesxxx
01-01-2009, 08:49 PM
well today the nitrites register 0.5, was 0.25 yesterday so things maybe moving in the right direction now. I upped my ammonia to 2-3ppm yesterday. Lets see how things look over the next week or so.

Glad I didn't get those fish :D.

Lady Hobbs
01-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Hurray! Finally, huh? Glad things are finally going your way.

Glad you didn't have to go with the fish, too. That was a last resort option if nothing wanted to start changing to your benefit. Nice going!

lovleeko
01-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Congrats!!! I'm still jealous LOL No nitrites for me yet. Keep us updated.

snipesxxx
01-01-2009, 10:31 PM
yeah glad its doing something different. I'll report back in a week or so.

lovleeko
01-01-2009, 11:44 PM
I got nitrites today too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :19: :19: I have .25

I was so happy to see that purple!!!

snipesxxx
01-02-2009, 12:16 AM
I got nitrites today too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :19: :19: I have .25

I was so happy to see that purple!!!

Great =) , I didn't know how much longer I could wait, now I wait on the nitrites to peak then fall. I just hope it doesn't take as long as it took for them to show up.

lovleeko
01-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Great =) , I didn't know how much longer I could wait, now I wait on the nitrites to peak then fall. I just hope it doesn't take as long as it took for them to show up.

LOL I have heard that it takes longer for nitrite eating bacteria to grow than the ammonia but in my experience the nitrite goes away a lot faster than ammonia.

snipesxxx
01-07-2009, 09:27 PM
well nitrite is through the roof so lets see how long it takes to come down.

Northernguy
01-07-2009, 09:31 PM
well nitrite is through the roof so lets see how long it takes to come down.
What is your ammonia at?

lovleeko
01-08-2009, 12:14 AM
YAY! Well my nitrite is still at .25 and I took the fish out because the ammonia was getting higher and I couldn't bare to change the water when I finally had nitrite. I have to go buy some pure ammonia though because I am using fish food now and it doesn't seem t generate much ammonia.

Northernguy
01-08-2009, 12:21 AM
You don't need much! Just a small bottle should do it.

lovleeko
01-08-2009, 12:39 AM
You don't need much! Just a small bottle should do it.

Okay thanks. This will be the first time I have done it without fish. What do I call this cycle. Half fish half fishless cycle. Fish/fishless cycle :hmm3grin2orange: I have been looking online trying to figure out how much to add to it when I get the ammonia. I wouldn't have wasted fish food but I dumped half a bag of hikari cichlid gold on the floor and so it wasn't going to get used and it went to the fishless cycle. LOL But it is growing stuff on the bottom of the tank which is gross :(

snipesxxx
01-08-2009, 03:55 AM
What is your ammonia at?

right now its around 2ppm. When it's at 1ppm I usually bump it back up to 2-3ppm. Should I do anything different?