PDA

View Full Version : Malawi setup --- any suggestions?

Glasstapper
01-28-2007, 03:20 AM
So I'm starting to setup my tank for the arrival of my mbunas next weekend, and I could use some advice on what else I can do to the deco to make it more eye pleasing. I was thinking of a black background (mbunas will be light blue, orange, and yellow) to really make their colors stand out. Right now I just have a towel hanging back there.

I have 3 clay pots that I'm covering with pebbles, but I don't know where to put them. Or do you think I should stack them? I also have a couple good size pieces of lace rock and some black slate.

Suggestions on how to finish? Do you think that plant should stay or go? (that air stone will also be hidden, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do that yet) I also have about half a bag of those golf ball sized stones.

here's pics on things so far:

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 03:49 AM
looks good. Just make a little stack of slate also for extra coolness.

Drumachine09
01-28-2007, 04:13 AM
I am working up for a 29 gallon mbuna tank as well. I am thinking about some yellow labs and some powder blue scolofis

Nautilus291
01-28-2007, 04:16 AM
I thought about making my new 29g a malawi setup, but I have a krib that really needs a new home.

Glasstapper
01-28-2007, 04:17 AM
those are the two kinds I will have along with a couple of red zebras.

I was trying to figure out how to do a little slate structure. I'm thinking like a sort of hotel. I'd have to put rocks in between the slate to make the caves, but I'll probably need to silicone all those so they don't come tumbling down.

Drumachine09
01-28-2007, 04:20 AM
I was going to get a bunch of 9x4x1/2" peices of slate and some 4x3x4" rocks and set rocks every 8 or so inches, then slate, then more rocks, altrernating untill i reach the top.

Cichlid_Man
01-28-2007, 04:33 AM
Hi Glasstapper..

Everything looks good so far.
I think the plant should stay. My Mbunas love to sleep in the plants.

Just put as many flat rocks as you can and make sure they won't collapse. I know you already mentioned siliconing them, but I just wanted to make sure :-)

Good luck!

Glasstapper
01-28-2007, 05:15 AM
thanks, dude. Rocks are not a problem to find around here. My apartment complex landscaped their entire grounds with tons of different "river" rocks. All I have to do go around and pick out the ones I want (and make sure no one sees me!). I figured I'm probably going to go through about 4 tubes of silicone. LOL.

kimmers318
01-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Hey Glasstapper....do you have a rotary tool? I took a grinding tool and made the hole in the clay pots bigger so that the fish could swim thru....they love it! Other than that our mbuna love loads of rocks making hundreds of little hidey holes. Hubby took a long piece of pvc pipe for along the back and stacks the rocks all over each other and the pvc. Basically, 2 pieces of "roundish" rock with a piece of "flattish" rock across the top all along the tank. About once a month he will remove the rocks during water changes and restructure them. If you choose to silicone (which honestly I wish he would, I have nightmares about these darn rocks tumbling down in the middle of the night breaking the tank) silicone them in small enough structures that you can move them around or in and out. It gives you more stability, but still easy to deal with.
Good luck, the tank should be quite colorful when done!

Drumachine09
01-28-2007, 05:39 AM
thanks, dude. Rocks are not a problem to find around here. My apartment complex landscaped their entire grounds with tons of different "river" rocks. All I have to do go around and pick out the ones I want (and make sure no one sees me!). I figured I'm probably going to go through about 4 tubes of silicone. LOL.

And they say nothing in life is free:ezpi_wink1:

Glasstapper
01-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Hey Glasstapper....do you have a rotary tool? I took a grinding tool and made the hole in the clay pots bigger so that the fish could swim thru....they love it! Other than that our mbuna love loads of rocks making hundreds of little hidey holes. Hubby took a long piece of pvc pipe for along the back and stacks the rocks all over each other and the pvc. Basically, 2 pieces of "roundish" rock with a piece of "flattish" rock across the top all along the tank. About once a month he will remove the rocks during water changes and restructure them. If you choose to silicone (which honestly I wish he would, I have nightmares about these darn rocks tumbling down in the middle of the night breaking the tank) silicone them in small enough structures that you can move them around or in and out. It gives you more stability, but still easy to deal with.
Good luck, the tank should be quite colorful when done!

Ok, that's pretty much what I want to do here. I don't have any way of making the hole any bigger, but that's something I could always do later on. I'm not really understanding the pvc, though. Is it to help hold the structure up or is it another cave for the fish?

f1oored
01-28-2007, 09:23 AM
The PVC is another cave or series of caves. I can't even begin to think about taking all of the rocks out of my tank. Just the thought of it makes my back hurt. Rocks are great and look natural but PVC pipe is much easier to work with. Make sure to show us pictures when you are done.

kimmers318
01-28-2007, 04:56 PM
The pvc acts as both.....we frequently see the fish swimming in and out of the pipe and they also offer something to start stacking the rocks on, lay against, etc. that creates additional hidey places.
If you know anyone with a dremel rotary tool ask to borrow it, buy a grinding stone and work away at those holes. I have also heard of people using a hammer and "knocking" pieces out of the pots to make entrances, but my luck I would smash the whole thing to smithereens and have to go buy more. The rock glued on looks great.

Glasstapper
01-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Well, I think I'll add the pvc later on because I'll want to glue rocks on those, too. Those pots are coming along nicely, but the rock glueing takes a while and some pieces along the edges especially have to be individually hand placed. That silicone stinks to high heaven, but it's doing a wonderful job. I did knock out the bottoms of the pots with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer. It was actually pretty easy if you go slow. I'll finish the rock glueing and let them sit for a couple of days before I place everything in there. I'll definitely post some pictures for you guys!

Lady Hobbs
01-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Glasstapper..........LOLOLOL
All I have to do go around and pick out the ones I want (and make sure no one sees me!

Same place I got my rocks. Right from my apartment building landscaping. Make sure you wash them good, tho, incase complex has sprayed them for weeds, etc.

I got some of the flower pots that look like clay but are plastic and just cut the bottom out with a razor knife.

Now............If I only had some fish!