PDA

View Full Version : Question on filtration...

bielbugs
01-28-2007, 03:18 AM
When I purchased my 55 gal tank, it was a starter kit so it came with pretty much everything. The type of filter that came with it is a Top Fin Power Filter 60. As I have been reading in some of the posts, I noticed that canister filters are preferred by many. How exactly do they work and about how much do they cost? I've also heard great stuff about BIO wheels. Any information and/or advice that any of you have, please share. Thank you.

sergo
01-28-2007, 03:28 AM
i'm not too up to speed on the canisters but i can tell you that i just added another filter to the back of my tank as i have the same set as you. i keep both turned down to the first dot above low and i have no problems with water clarity. as a matter of fact i even cut open the filter cartridges and took out the carbon because i have a planted tank. the canisters can get expensive and the extra filter i got, which was identical to the top fin, was only $35 and made by tetra. i may add a canister some time down the road but the two hang on back filters work well too.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 03:30 AM
I had both of those filters.
The biowheel was good, but i love canister filters.
Canisters FORCE the water through, and When I put a canister in my 20 long I had no new tank syndrome because the filter worked so good.
Biowheels are around 40 bucks, and canisters about 200. I paid 80 for my canister though, and you can find great deals on ebay for them.
I only recommend any other filters other than canisters for tanks under 15g.

Nautilus291
01-28-2007, 04:50 AM
On my 55g I have 2 penguin 350 bio-wheels and a fluval 304. I recomend both of them. I spent 100 for my canister becuase I dont buy anything online. Make sure you take out the carbon if you get a canister filter.

The way my fluval works is it has 2 sides one has pads that help the ben. bacteria grow and the other side has compartments where you can put whatever you want in them. On the top I have some white things that came with the filter, the middle I have peat to lower my ph and on the bottom I stuffed with the pillow stuffing, well it says aquarium safe but i dont think theres a difference.

kimmers318
01-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Is the filter that came with your tank working up to your standards? Check your water parameters......if you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and less than 20 nitrates before your weekly water change, it is probably doing a good job. If you get to a point where you are overstocking or it isn't doing the job, a second filter or replacing it with a canister may be something to look into. I have a 5 gal and a 29 gal eclipse, both which work VERY well with the internal filter they came with and I am nothing but pleased. Will it stay that way when/if I get my mirius puffer.....I don't know, but as long as it is doing the job, I "ain't" messin with it!
Canister filters IMO though are great, if that is the way you want to go, especially with a bio wheel system. Bio wheels are just what they sound like......a wheel that allows beneficial bacteria to thrive because they turn and get constant water flow and oxygen. The water constantly flows over it, as it turns it is also exposed to air which is supposed to allow the beneficial bacteria a place to thrive....do I have scientific proof? NO, but I can say that my magnum filter has 2 biowheels, which luckily were the same size as the biowheel for my 29 eclipse....I swapped one biowheel out of the 65 into the 29 at set up, fully stocked, and didn't see any issues with either tank.
Basically, it is up to you if you want to add or replace a filter based on your experience with YOUR tank, YOUR fish, and knowing what your water parameters regularly run. If you don't have a test kit, get one that uses liquid chemicals to give you readings and you will soon see where you stand and how well your filter is working. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Over filtration is never a problem though if you decide to add/replace something because of personal preference. Your fish won't hate you if you over filter!:thumb: . But if things are working and you choose not to, that is also your preference as long as your water parameters are good.

AuroraAustralis
01-28-2007, 08:26 AM
on the bottom I stuffed with the pillow stuffing, well it says aquarium safe but i dont think theres a difference.

My LFS uses pillow/cushion stuffing in all his filters. He told me he uses it because with so much of it needed for the filters for the shop it's alot cheaper and is exactly the same as the filter floss material you buy for aquarium use anyway :ezpi_wink1:

Nautilus291
01-28-2007, 09:34 AM
My LFS uses pillow/cushion stuffing in all his filters. He told me he uses it because with so much of it needed for the filters for the shop it's alot cheaper and is exactly the same as the filter floss material you buy for aquarium use anyway :ezpi_wink1:

Thanks for the info thats what I figured but I wanted to play it safe. Plus I was in the fish store and they dont stock regular pillow material.