PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp with goldfish?

labnjab
12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
I have a coral banded shrimp in my reef tank and am quite fond of it, and I've been reading post about freshwater shrimp and thought I'd like to get a few. They would not survive 5 seconds in our 55 gallon community as our angel fish loves live food, but I know for a fact my goldfish will not eat anything living (I've tried feeding them guppy fry, crickets, and even earth worms, and the won't touch anything but NLS and veggies). I read in the shrimp article that they would do good in cooler temps.

Would it be a good idea to try, or would I be wasting my time? If not ghost shrimp. What other kind would be good? I haven't seen ammonia in my 55 since I cycled it over 6 months ago. Thank you for any help

Fishguy2727
12-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Bamboo shrimp would be an interesting, larger shrimp but I can't remember what their temp range is.

Ghost shrimp are worth a shot. They will have better chances with llive plants present and driftwood to hide in.

Red
12-24-2008, 02:31 AM
I think the ghost shrimp would be lunch, but they may leave them alone... I think bambo shrimp would be fine if you kept the goldfish temps. a bit higher (for bambo shrimp) but what the hay, try it anyways, ghost shrimp are only 25 cents..

labnjab
12-24-2008, 04:37 AM
Right now the goldfish tank stays at 75 with no heater, which is odd because the room is only 70 (3 thermometers say 75). Would this be ok for bamboo shrimp, and if so how many for a 55? We'll try the ghost and if they get eaten then I'll see if I can find some bamboo shrimp, although I may go straight for the bamboo because they tank doesn't have many plants yet. Thank you

edit: the article on them says their good to 73 degrees, and it says they like soft, acidic water, which also what are water is

Red
12-24-2008, 07:18 PM
I think you would be fine, just be careful to let it dip below that.. I would say one for that size tank because they are filter feeders and you don't want them to starve. But in theory it sounds great, because goldfish put off a lot of waste and bamboo fish clean that stuff up, keep us posted..

labnjab
12-24-2008, 08:24 PM
I think they carry them at petco, so I will take a look this weekend and will keep you posted on how it works out. I think it will add something to the tank, and possible be beneficial.