PDA

View Full Version : Betta With Community Fish

SpaceBison
12-23-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm getting a 29g but I have to take down my 5g which has my betta in it. I'm probaly going to put the betta in my 10g. If I put the betta in the 10g with the community fish will it pick on them? Will the other fish eat the betta's food and will the betta eat the other fish's food? If I can't put the betta in the 10g could I put in the 29g with my angel fish? Or the 50g with the community fish?

:santatext:

Sharkman
12-23-2008, 07:58 PM
It looks like the 10g is already really overstocked so I would not put the betta in there. The 50g is not likely a good home either because the serpae tetras will nip at the bettas fins. The angelfish will be hit or miss as far as compatibility. My suggestion would be to maybe put the tetras from your 10g into the 50g and then maybe the betta could go in the 10g.

Rue
12-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Bettas can eat any fish food...they don't need betta food particularily.

And vice versa...

SpaceBison
12-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Ok, I'll probaly take my tetras in the 50g and put the betta in the 10g. Could I get any other fish with the betta along with my pleco, snail, and 4 cories?

Naturestee
12-23-2008, 09:18 PM
What kind of pleco do you have? Even a bristlenose will get awfully large for a 10 gallon. I wouldn't put any more fish in unless you move the pleco to a larger tank.

SpaceBison
12-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Well, It was a bad Idea for me to put a pleco in the 10g because I think I stunned it's life. It's about 3-4in. long and it doesn't grow any more. So I haven't moved it from that tank because I have quite a bit of algae in my tank.

AABatteries
12-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Another problem in the 50g, would the bloodfins with their torpedo shape would probably become a snack for the angel(s).

Sharkman
12-23-2008, 09:50 PM
AA batteries,

the angelfish is in th 29g not the 50g.

Jacko
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I would move the tetras and pleco out of the 10 gallon into the 50. Even if it is stunted, it is still possible with proper conditions to have them "un-stunt" so to say. I've seen people keep goldfish in tiny tanks before where they didn't grow at all and then into larger aquariums or ponds where they resumed growing.

Plus, the pleco produces enough waste on his own to probably fill 3/4 of the bioload on that tank. Which really limits the stocking options on that tank.

Now with the betta in the 10 gallon you could probably get a school of smaller tetras or rasboras, at least 6 of one species.

AABatteries
12-23-2008, 10:38 PM
AA batteries,

the angelfish is in th 29g not the 50g.

I was putting it as IF you put angel(s) in the 50g.

SpaceBison
12-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Ok, but AAbatteries is moving his pleco to the 50g too. If we both move ours to the 50g woundn't that be too many plecos? I would move my pleco with the African Ciclids, but we have already had 2 and they got eaten by them. So where could we put them?

Sharkman
12-23-2008, 11:33 PM
i dont see why the pleco can't go in the 50g as it is now. The stocking still has some wiggle room.

SpaceBison
12-23-2008, 11:39 PM
well, could 2 plecos go in the 50g? Also the 50g is new and there is not alot of algae.

Sharkman
12-23-2008, 11:42 PM
are you speaking of 2 common plecos? I'm not sure that would be a good idea, but if they are of the smaller variety they are usually peaceful. The plecos do not only need to eat algae. They also like driftwood, lettuce and cucmber.

SpaceBison
12-23-2008, 11:45 PM
ok they're 2 common plecos that are pretty small, I think all get mine down there before AA does

SpaceBison
12-24-2008, 03:32 PM
I got my pleco down there, it's swimming around alot, and when I feed them I just put an algae wafer in.

lovleeko
12-24-2008, 06:57 PM
I completely agree with sharkman. Those black skirts may not be the best idea. And definitely not the serpaes. (Been there done that) As far as food. I feed my betta pellets in the tank with the other fish. They are usually expecting them and my bettas are really picky eaters and dont care for tropical flakes at all. The only time they eat the same food is when I'm feeding brine shrimp or blood worms etc. Other than that the bettas are hanging out up top waiting on me to drop their food in and I drop in the tropical flakes and then I give the bettas their pellets or flakes and they eat them. Every once in a while if they (the other fish) totally gobble up the food too fast they may come steal a pellet or so. I dont see what it could hurt. I just make sure the betta gets enough because like I said, they dont really eat tropical flakes. I have one betta who eats anything. The rest dont. They seem to expect me to drop in something they find savory as well and totally ignore the other food I put in. But it wouldn't hurt them if they ate it.

It looks like the 10g is already really overstocked so I would not put the betta in there. The 50g is not likely a good home either because the serpae tetras will nip at the bettas fins. The angelfish will be hit or miss as far as compatibility. My suggestion would be to maybe put the tetras from your 10g into the 50g and then maybe the betta could go in the 10g.