PDA

View Full Version : Dying Fish

AABatteries
12-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Okay. Pretty much just like my other thread about my blue tetra that has an open wound on his side. That thread hasn't had a reply for 2 days now. He seems to be getting worse and worse every day. I think he's getting and infection now and I'm wondering what to treat it with. Really would like an answer if I don't treat him he probably won't make it through Christmas. :scry:

gourami*girl
12-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Okay. Pretty much just like my other thread about my blue tetra that has an open wound on his side. That thread hasn't had a reply for 2 days now. He seems to be getting worse and worse every day. I think he's getting and infection now and I'm wondering what to treat it with. Really would like an answer if I don't treat him he probably won't make it through Christmas. :scry:

There are many antibiotics available you could treat him with. Melafix is a good general antibiotic that is relatively gentle and inexpensive. If you are worried that your fish may die within days you might want a stronger treatment, however.

There are many types of specialized antibiotics available at any fish store. I'm currently treating my gourami that may have columnaris with Maracyn. You could check that out. Try to match your fish's symptoms to the diseases that the different antibiotics treat. Hope this helped a bit and good luck!

AABatteries
12-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Just got back from Wally World and came back with some Melafix. Hopefully that works.

LosC
12-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Don't know about your other thread. Keep the water quality high by doing water changes. You should be keeping more of the same type of tetra. Strictly follow the directions for the meds.

Lady Hobbs
12-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Agree. Most fungual and bacterial problems can be avoided by keeping good clean water in your tank and making sure you have a cycle.

AABatteries
12-24-2008, 04:45 PM
All my parameters have been very stable for a long while. I did a water change the day before I started dosing the med. And it says to do a water change after the treatment period is over, so that's what I plan to do. And I took out the activated carbon as instucted. Hopefully he makes it.

Lady Hobbs
12-24-2008, 05:18 PM
I hope so too. Good luck with your guy.

AABatteries
12-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Ughhhh. He is laying on the gravel breathing hard again. Just dosed Melafix for the 3rd time.

Wild Turkey
12-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Ughhhh. He is laying on the gravel breathing hard again. Just dosed Melafix for the 3rd time.

How many days total have you been treating? If you removed your carbon you dont need to replace the mela unless you do a waterchange. If its not helping, it could be hurting. I agree with hobbs, just keep conditions as good as you can, or if you really want to treat the fish, separate him to a Q tank if you have one. It would really stink if other fish in the tank got sick from over treatment of meds when they are fine.

AABatteries
12-26-2008, 01:56 AM
He didn't make through the transfer to the new tank. So, most of the Melefix is out of the system in the new tank. Just took about 10g from the old 20g. And put it in the 30g.

cer
12-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Poor fishie! Sorry I did not see your thread until right now. Otherwise I would of replied. RIP little fish.