PDA

View Full Version : natural cave

boston
01-28-2007, 02:16 AM
at the lfs they sell slate in many sizes but i just went up in the mountains and got me a piece and boiled it i dug a hole in my gravel till there was only a light covering on the bottom around the hole i put rocks then put the slate on top and covered with the gravel that was taken out of the hole i put mine on the left corner and covered it with all sizes of granite looks as if there was a rock slide a long time ago and there is a natural cave.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 02:31 AM
Good idea. I put a piece of slate angled slightly and my krib has actually dug himself a big hole under it.

Abbeys_Mom
01-28-2007, 03:14 AM
I use plant pots. I was always scared the rocks would fall on my fish. I had an Oscar who used to overturn the cave I made for my pleco, so I stopped building them.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 03:35 AM
I was always scared the rocks would fall on my fish.

Same. And yet I use a big stack of rocks for my krib in my tall tank. It would take a good knock to get the rocks down the way I stack em.
Rocks look real cool and fish like to slip between the little openings though.

jman
01-28-2007, 03:37 AM
i also was scared to but ended up using them staked on top by placing them as sterdy as possible.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 03:39 AM
I put them very sturdily and give them a good knock to make sure its safe. I use lite slate and let a bit lean against the glass for support