PDA

View Full Version : Instant cycle

lovleeko
12-23-2008, 06:47 AM
So on the ten gallon I have been having problems with, the ammonia just wont go away and I still have no nitrite. it has been weeks. Well I just got the 55 cycled and it had a cart in it from the ten gallon back in the day when it was cycled shoved in there. So since the ten gallon could use the cycled media now I took it out and put it back in the ten.

How much of a sure deal is it that this means instant cycle? I mean, does instant cycle always work like that? Or is there a chance that it will just help speed up the process a bit?

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Are you over feeding the fish in that 10 gallon? Have the heat on? Cleaning too much?

If you remove the filter media from the now cycled 55 and add it to the 10 gallon, it will depend on how dirty that media is. If it is loaded with bacteria, when the 10 should cycle right away. However, if you remove the seasoned media from that 55, you may loose your cycle in that tank.

What is keeping your tank cycled is the bacteria in the filter media. Remove it and there goes your cycle. You have bacteria in the gravel but not as much as in the filter compartment. This is just one of the reason you should be having two filters on that 55 gallon. Not only do you get more filtration for that tank, you have no dead spots on one end of the tank and you can change the filter media in one filter without losing the bacteria.

lovleeko
12-23-2008, 05:07 PM
I understand that. There is so much media in the 55. There is four sponge foam things and two of these carts that I was talking about. The carts are just small cartridges that were on my ten a long time ago and they are so small I just stuck them behind the sponges somewhere. So, I should hope that it wouldn't mess with the cycle in the 55. Since it was just a small size thing compared to all the big foam pieces. When I took that out last night I also added three more small sponge foam pieces so that I might use those at a later date to do the same thing to any other tank I might be starting at the time or just changing filters on the small tanks. The ten gallon filters are so hard to change because their smaller and I can hardly fit two pieces of media in there. If I do it clogs them. So it is a bit hard to change them when that time comes.

As for the ten gallon, I am going round and around with it. I only have two fish in it and one is a little juvenile guppy. The other is a platy and I barley feed them. I did use ammo lock in the tank for ever ago but I have done so many water changes trying to deal with the ammonia I think it should be all gone by now and not giving me off readings. It seems the cycle is taking forever and that I may have to remove the fish because they have been in there with ammonia wayyyyyyyyy to long now. I'll probably do that today.

As for the instant cycle. I'm guessing it wont be so instant since it is a newly cycled tank. But the cartridge was in the ten gallon a long time ago when it was cycled. You know what I did do to the ten gallon though. I took out the filter foam and rinsed it in the bucket of water I just did the water change in because it had so much debris on it. Is there anyway, that maybe it lost enough bacteria to throw the tank into a cycle? Gees, sorry for the length.

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2008, 05:36 PM
As long as you leave some of that media for the 55 gallon and not remove it all, you should be in good shape.

I just did similar yesterday. I gave my daughter my 20 gallon and some of the used filter media from my 55 gallon. Isn't it great to have one tank to quickly cycle another? So much easier than starting from scratch.

lovleeko
12-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh I know. It's awesome. It's especially easy with the big filters to shove all kinds of media into it for that very reason too. Makes it even better :)

bushwhacker
12-23-2008, 06:45 PM
you should be fine lov

lovleeko
12-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks bushwhacker. I hope so. It seems all my readings are the same on the ten gallon. Still ammonia:scry: It will be over at some point I guess.