PDA

View Full Version : moss wall

boston
01-28-2007, 01:35 AM
im thinking of putting in a moss wall for a background on either only the back or maybe 2 or 3 sides of the aquarium walls.whats your imput and has anybody ever done this. i cant decide wich moss to use java or christmas.

Glasstapper
01-28-2007, 02:56 AM
I've never done it, but I'm sure it can't be that hard. You'd need to put something it can attach to because it won't grow on the glass. You could try one of those slated grates. You could weave pieces of the moss through the grates then set it in deep substrate against the walls to hold it steady. You may have to cut and silicone the grate pieces to make it fit. I'd set some moss patches spaced apart a few inches because it will finish growing in thick in no time.

Just a suggestion. I'm definitely no plant expert.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 03:31 AM
sounds like a cool idea.

boston
01-28-2007, 03:42 AM
ive been looking it up and it sounds as if you take a piece of plastic screen twice the length of your tank spread out the moss in it fold it over itself and tie it together then attach some suction cups to the back of the screen with glue, then bury a little of the screen under the gravel/sand and it thrives.i will probably end up with a pain in the neck that takes alot of trimming to keep it under control.but it will look awsome with my fish.plus the eels might hide in it.if i do this i will post pictures of the process and the finished wall as it grows.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 03:51 AM
sweet:1: :1: :1: :1:

boston
01-28-2007, 04:12 AM
ya only if it works.

kimmers318
01-28-2007, 05:18 AM
It sounds like a beautiful background if you can make it work. Me personally....I kill plants no matter what I do so I would end up with a mesh screen background that looked tacky as hell!
Keep us posted please and I for one want to see pics.....it sounds like a great natural background!

AuroraAustralis
01-28-2007, 08:41 AM
I have heard of it being done with both cork tile (untreated of course) and flyscreen. With the cork you use aluminium (i think) u-shaped nails to attach the plants. With flyscreen (which I was considering trying) you sew the plants on with fishing line or cotton thread. I haven't tried it yet because I keep worrying that fish will get stuck behind it. If I ever work out a way to make sure it stays close against the back wall I will give it a go. Securing it at the bottom with the gravel is easy it's the top and sides that have me worried... lol if anyone has any ideas I'm interested :o)

Abbeys_Mom
01-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Here's an interesting article on how to do the moss wall.
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=13