PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia readings

neo-fight
12-22-2008, 10:25 AM
I began fishless cycling one week ago today. Yesterday I checked for nitrites and the reading was negligible. Last evening I checked for ammonia and it read between 3 and 4 and I checked this morning, 36 hours since I last added ammonia, and the reading was the same. What's going on?

fins_n_fur
12-22-2008, 10:31 AM
I began fishless cycling one week ago today. Yesterday I checked for nitrites and the reading was negligible. Last evening I checked for ammonia and it read between 3 and 4 and I checked this morning, 36 hours since I last added ammonia, and the reading was the same. What's going on?
You haven't mentioned if you are using either gravel, sand, or filter media from a cycled tank to help your cycle go faster. Keep in mind that it can take up to 4 weeks to cycle a tank without fish and without help from an existing cycled tank. What is your temperature set to and are you using an air stone? If you can get the temp up to 84 degrees F or 28/29 C and use an airstone, it'll help to move things a bit faster.

Read the stickies in the cycling section of the forum and come back here with more questions and/or click on the free ebook link in my signature for more information.

neo-fight
12-22-2008, 11:06 AM
I've done everything I am supposed to, except add media from a cycled tank. I used Cycle TM.

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2008, 01:58 PM
At one week, you should be having nitrites beginning. Every single cycle is different and it depends on the temp of your water, the aeration, the hardness/softness, etc. Also the type of ammonia.

Bacteria loves heat and oxygen. I would turn your temps up to about 86 since nothing is in the tank. Nothing to do but wait it out. You have also added a bacteria booster. Remember that these boosters hold your levels down so that fish do not die. Boosters should be used when cycling with fish and not when using ammonia.

neo-fight
12-22-2008, 02:17 PM
My tank was set at 85 F, the lights were left on, a bubble curtain was added to increase aeration,and I filled the tank 80% full to add to the splash and the aeration of the water. I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2008, 03:04 PM
You're doing everything right so guess the patience needs to kick in. Not too often do you see ammonia stall out. It's generally the nitrites that like to do that. Make sure you add your ammonia only once a day when you do add it. Too much ammonia can give you stall outs with nitrites......a burn out.....so to speak.

Northernguy
12-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Having patieience is the hardest part of the cycle!:11:
It won't take that much longer!
Good Luck.