PDA

View Full Version : Weird Ammonia Readings

geowashlaw
12-22-2008, 02:44 AM
:help: okay ... in the middle of my fishless cycle ... this morning ammonia read 0, so I added 10 ml ... new reading 2-3 ppm ... about 5 hours ago ... i checked it just for kicks .... ammonia 0 ... so i added another 10 ml ... new reading 2-3 ppm ... now just checked it again for kicks ... ammonia 0 ... should it really drop that quickly ... nitrites and nitrates are both high ...

Siamese Fighter 1
12-22-2008, 04:04 AM
"Ammonia occurs naturally in your aquarium. It comes from your fish as a waste product.

Ammonia Levels Change. Unfortunately, ammonium almost instantly converts to poisonous ammonia at pH levels above 7 (neutral). The higher the pH level, the deadlier the effect of any ammonia in the water. At low pH levels, ammonia poses less of a threat"

NO MATTER WHAT YOUR PROBLEM, A WATER CHANGE ALWAYS HELPS...

wolf_eyes
12-22-2008, 05:44 AM
Sounds like your cycle is almost there to me..... I know once you get all your bacteria built ammonia and nitrites should drop very quickly. I think you just need to wait until your nitrites do the same

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2008, 08:11 AM
You're right on track. If you add ammonia and it reads 0 several hours later, you have all your ammonia eating bacteria. Now all you need to do is get that nitrites to do the same thing. Only add enough ammonia now to keep that bacteria alive. And......only once per day. Too much ammonia now can stall your nitrites and require a water change to bump it into moving again.

geowashlaw
12-22-2008, 01:25 PM
You're right on track. If you add ammonia and it reads 0 several hours later, you have all your ammonia eating bacteria. Now all you need to do is get that nitrites to do the same thing. Only add enough ammonia now to keep that bacteria alive. And......only once per day. Too much ammonia now can stall your nitrites and require a water change to bump it into moving again.

Thank you! I didn't know that ... I will only add once per day!

I wanted this thing to be done so that I could put some fish in it on Christmas Eve ... we are going away for 7 days starting on Christmas Day and I just wanted to leave a few starter fish with a feeding block ...

Lady Hobbs
12-22-2008, 01:42 PM
A-haaaaa... Trying to rush a cycle seldom works. Like waiting for a pot of water to boil.

You could grab a nylon stocking, add some uncooked shrimp to it and sink it to the bottom of the tank with a rock in your absense. They will rot, produce more ammonia keeping your bacteria alive and those nitrites should peak and then fall again by the time you return home.