PDA

View Full Version : WHAT ARE THESE??? ID Help Please

shalafi04
12-22-2008, 12:52 AM
okay everyone knows the lovely MTS snails. But my mom has a different kind of snail infesting her betta tank. They have the same type of shell as an apple snail or a common garden snail. They are only about 1/4 of an inch at the biggest, most are much smaller. The shells are like gold speckled they are actually really pretty. Im just wondering what they are. I will try to get a picture of them but I can't make any guarantees . lol

Fishalicious
12-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Sound like Pond snails (Lymnaeidae) to me... they breed like rabbits and like to nibble on your plants if they are not getting their share of food.... even if you only have 1 - get ready for hundreds LOL

Northernguy
12-22-2008, 01:36 AM
It does not take long! Do something about them before you infested.
Just picking them out as soon as you see any.How long since you noticed them?

shalafi04
12-22-2008, 02:30 AM
well they are in my moms betta tank and she's in complete love with them. I personally like them much more than the MTS that are infesting my 40g at home and was considering taking some home with me lol. they're really cute

wolf_eyes
12-22-2008, 06:01 AM
Yea sounds like pond snails. They are really pretty but they do breed like crazy. My roommate put three into her tank and each day she pulls out about 3-4 batches of eggs or more. Luckily for her my rasboras and cories find the eggs delicious.

Dave66
12-22-2008, 06:23 AM
They only breed like crazy if there's enough food in the tank for them to do so. If you mom has hundreds of them, ask her to feed the Betta tiny, tiny meals for a month or so, and start vacuuming her substrate.
I agree, they are attractive little snails, but you only get a plague of them if you overfeed and don't clean up any excess.

Dave

terrapin24h
12-22-2008, 02:34 PM
two words: "dwarf puffers" :)

Set yourself up a tank of these lil guys and your pond snails will prove tasty treats for them :)

--chris

shalafi04
12-22-2008, 06:55 PM
oh shes fine then. Her betta gets hand fed one pellet at a time, so there is no extra for these snails. Im sure they'll be dying off soon