PDA

View Full Version : Making my own filter

american audio artist
01-27-2007, 08:16 PM
What's up people? I am new to this site & hope someone out there will comment on this post. I want to use a bunch of components I have acquired & make my own filter system for a 100g freshwater tank. Please see below for what I have:

* 1 Iwaki dual sided 2md-20rlt water pump
* 3 fb300 Rainbow fluidized bed filter containers
* 1 Kent Maxxima 50-GPD RO-filter canister trio
* A bunch of PVC piping

This is what I am thinking of doing:

WITH THE LEFT SIDE IMPELLER OF THE IWAKI: Using this to push water through the 3 stage filtration canister-set of the KENT (but "boring out" larger holes for the Kent’s IN/OUT water flow).

WITH THE RIGHT SIDE IMPELLER OF THE IWAKI: Using this to push water through the RAINBOWS (connect them in series - filling first one with foam, second one with carbon & third one with ceramic pellets).

This Dual-impeller Iwaki provides an incredibly strong force of water flow. I really want to use it somehow (and stop toying with flimsy Fluvals & such). Does anyone have any comments about my idea to use this Iwaki & other components? In theory, it seems like my idea would work great because the Iwaki is so strong & the Rainbow & Kent containers are "meaty, rock solid, well sealable & easily cleanable" containers. I acquired all this gear (with a 100g tank) for free. Also, I am broke & do not have money to buy a pre-made filter. This is why I am trying to use what I have.

Drumachine09
01-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Welcome to the A.C.

cocoa_pleco
01-27-2007, 08:59 PM
welcome.
your plan seems good

genitor
02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
welcome to a.c. pics of your plan will help.