PDA

View Full Version : Any angelfish fry suggestions?

Kemppy
12-21-2008, 03:14 PM
I have raised many spawns of golden marbles, but now these blacks are really giving me a headache! The others were parent raisers to a point. When they started to eat the babies, I just put the babies in a breeder net in the same tank and everything was fine. Then of course moved them to their own tank when they got a bit larger. Now I am at a loss, I have tried everything that I can think of. Had about 200 fry freeswimming about 5 days. Daddy decided to start eating them, so I did the breeder net idea and all of the fry died. Tried to do the tank divider idea and that didn't work, even though I had fine mesh covering it they got through and were lunch. I have tried other things that are probably too funny to even mention. Now here is my question,, I have a 24 gallon all set up and ready for the grow out tank. Can I move the newly free swimming babies to this tank, or will that be too stressful? I know that I could move the parents, but I would prefer not to do that as they are doing so well where they are. What do you think? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Sue

Algenco
12-21-2008, 03:51 PM
move them to the new tank, easiest way is to siphon them .

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2008, 04:20 PM
You got the perfect angelfish expert to help you here.....Algenco. He spawns and sells them by the hundreds and only keeps the best of the best.

Like you, I bought 9 angels and ended up with 4 pair. Also like you, I could not figure out what in heck I would do with hundreds of fry if I did get them. I just let them get eaten.

Some angels will eat the fry a few times before they "get it" and others will never eat them. Sometimes the parents get stressed out with us messing around their tank or with the other tank mates and it makes them nervous and they eat their fry.

Some people breed their angels by moving a pair into a breeding tank then removing them after they spawn and others will just remove the spawning slate, put it in a fry tank, add some fungal medications and an air stone and raise the angels without the parents. You'll just have to find a method that works for you the best.

I ended up getting rid of all my angels but I find of all the fish that have come and gone thru my tanks, I miss the angels the most. I suspect I will cave in and get a couple more before long. :)

I found mine did best with each pair living together alone in their own tank but .....gez.....that gets to be a hassle having so many tanks but it did get rid of all aggression. Algenco has a big tank that all his fry go into until they can be sold but he will tell you more of how he does it if you talk really nice to him. :)

Algenco
12-21-2008, 04:27 PM
If I need a bunch I take the eggs away from the parents, blacks are delicate

Kemppy
12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
So (asking very nicely LOL) if they are already free swimmers and I have to move them would you put them right into the other tank without a breeder net or with one?

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Gez.......how nice ya gotta be? LOL Algenco???????? Oh, Algenco??????

Free swimmers should be able to go into their own tank. Just wait. In two weeks you can go thru this again and again.

Algenco
12-21-2008, 05:17 PM
So (asking very nicely LOL) if they are already free swimmers and I have to move them would you put them right into the other tank without a breeder net or with one?

No net, 50% wc twice per week for the first 2 weeks and every other day after that.

When I hatch the eggs I use 1/2-1gal jars set in a 10g tank , they stay in the jar for 4-7 days with daily 50%wc, then they move to a 10g for a week wc daily, then into a 55 wc every other day.
It's best if they can be kept in close proximity to their food for the first week.

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Do they need an airstone in those jars? Sounds like a way to do my rainbows.

Algenco
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Do they need an airstone in those jars? Sounds like a way to do my rainbows.

I don't use air stones, I use a piece of rigid airline and just enough air flow to turn the water over.
I would be great for the rainbows, with all fry keeping them in close proximity to the food improves survival rate, after a week they are able to move better and can hunt food

Kemppy
12-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Hummmm now that is really interesting. I am going to try that for sure. What a great idea. Thank you so much for your help.
Sue