PDA

View Full Version : ADF leaving the water?

bettaboy691
01-27-2007, 07:08 PM
i bought a pair of ADF a few months back and added them to my 7 gallon betta tank, i was looking on the interent and stumbled acroos this:http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Frog,%20226.jpg from the website;http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Frog,%20Dwarf%20African.htm. it gave me the idea to creat one of my own so i bought a medium sizeds flat wood from my fish store and some bendy metel strips from diy store, did a but of creating and i came up with a piece of wood that have a stap up from te water with metel clips attacted, i folded over the clips of my tank glass, placed a bit of java moss on their and few other plants and watched...nothing, i decided to drill a few holes underneith the wood so water could seep up and make the wood damp etc and the lower part of the wood is now under a few mm of water but the higher part is just wet.i left it for a few days, placing bloodworms on their and after 3 days i saw one of my frogs jump from the water onto the wood island.they were hopping about then leaped back to the water, now a week later they use it a lot,i keep it damp by spraying water onto it before i leave a few bloodworms on thier for the frogs to eat, its a great way of feeding now they betta doesnt eat the froggies food first.plus my betta hides under the island and has a shaded spot.
i was wondering if anyone else has done this or something simular.comments and critism welcome
sorry about having no pictures but i have no camera.

Abbeys_Mom
01-27-2007, 07:32 PM
As far as I know, DAF are completely aquatic. I am not sure about the DACF (dwarf African clawed frogs). If they are coming out of the water on they're own, then it must be ok. I would be worried about them jumping out of the tank :)

cocoa_pleco
01-27-2007, 10:01 PM
I used to have an aquatic dwarf clawed frog albino. they dont need land and are completely in the water at all times. They like to eat crickets.

funny story, once I accidentally spilt all my crickets in his tank and he ate 15 crickets and had a Fat attack. He had to go on a diet after that. lol
He was pretty friendly and was in my 33g community tank.
And if he had A big cricket in his mouth my tinfoil shark would try to rip it out of his mouth.

And my frog used to do this really cute Jesus thing where he would find the tallest edge piece of driftwood and stand on hind legs straight up like a human with his front hands way up in the air.
I called it his "Jesus stance".

bettaboy691
01-27-2007, 10:47 PM
im sure the frogs i have are african dwarf frogs, only about 1/1.5 inch long. the aquatic shop i bought them at are very good and ive never had a problem with them, my frogs are denfinatly NOT dwarf african clawed frogs http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Frog,%20170.jpg from the site http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Frog,%20Clawed.htm. they are not golden/albino, more greenish brownish.
as they chose to come out of the water, i thought it must be fine.the tank has a cover on it and the water level is lowered so they cant jump out.
by the way cocoa, when you say your frogs dont leave the water, is that your opinion or fact, not being nasty or anything but the website about shows them out of water and i just wondered?also, what else is in your community 33g tank?

freshwaterfishlover
01-27-2007, 11:43 PM
They can be in all water or some water or little water. Once I was moving a frog to another tank and it jumped away. I found it 30 minutes later still alive. Mine are all in full water with many plants.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 02:27 AM
I thought they die without water?????
Its actually a fact that mine cant leave the water.
All the stores have no land for them too. Weird.
my 33g tank has tons on diff. species. 3 plecos, african butterfly, upside down cat, neons, crayfish, mollies, fire eels, loaches, corys, and i used to have a very peaceful baby oscar.

kimmers318
01-28-2007, 05:35 AM
ADF's.....african dwarf frogs are aquatic, but still breathe from the surface so I don't see it being a far stretch that they could/would enjoy being on a wet "land surface" on occasion. As far as I know, noone has ever tried it, I know I haven't. They are aquatic so I give them aqua:hmm3grin2orange: . But it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them out if they could be knowing they can get back into the water whenever they feel like it. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't give mine a floating "hotel" to give them a place for their own bloodworms so they don't have to compete with the puffers......HMMMMM

bettaboy691
01-28-2007, 10:52 AM
i also feed them bloodworms in the water, but they seem to like feeding on the island better.plus when i sometimes feed earth worms, its easier as the worms dont drown.i know for a fact they can live in water for all their life as ive kept them that way before, but like kimmers said, maybe because they can go back to water anytime they like, they feel safe.
cocoa:i thought african clawed frogs would eat fish like neons,mollies and maybe corys, not saying your wrong but all the shops ive been in have kept them in tanks alone?have you had any problem?

kimmers318
01-28-2007, 04:51 PM
My research has also shown that ACF's will grow rather large AND eat your other fish. You must be very careful to get the ADF (african dwarf frogs) or you can have a disaster on your hands if the frog is sharing a tank. If I remember correctly, ADF have webbing between their front toes, ACF do not as there toes eventually become their claws as they grow, and they can get to be 5" which is a pretty big predator in a community tank.

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 05:45 PM
You get the odd time when a fish has a good personality... like my african butterfly was actually scared of my neons, and they are known to eat whatever fits in their mouth.

My frog was an example of this.
Another example is my m. chipokae is known to be a fierce killer and hes in a tank with my krib and the krib tells him off and the chipokae wouldnt hurt a fly, and the kribs the peaceful fish