PDA

View Full Version : Female angel alone laying eggs???

LORENZO
12-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Is it usual for an angel- a rather large mature angel to lay eggs with no other angel present-no other male to fertilize her eggs?
The big bump on the angels head is not that indicative of the fish being male?
I have noticed eggs.... yes eggs on two sides of the tank. That is unusual. A bit of eggs on one side and on the other side ...small bunches. Low down on the glass. i would not think this big angel who i thought was male could lay eggs.hahah Or, do i have something else in the tank breeding.... Small white eggs. cats would lay on the slate I think not on the glass. Could a single female angel just keep laying eggs all alone. i have not witnessed this before.

TazManiac
12-20-2008, 11:39 AM
I have seen this happen with my angels too. I used to have two, a male and a female, and the first time she spawned she was not interested in the male at all, she just wanted to lay her eggs. I would not worry about it and the eggs wont be fertalised at all of course. Just more food for everyone in there.

Sharon
12-20-2008, 12:09 PM
What type of cats...Corys lay on the glass...

angelcakes
12-20-2008, 03:05 PM
my old angelfish used to do this and she was the only angelfish in the tank,she seemed to like it:hmm3grin2orange:

DrNic
12-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Female angels that aren't in the same tank as a male can lay eggs. Nothing to worry about really.

If the eggs stay in the tank though be careful about the extra dissolved organic material in the water. Eggs, even unfertalized, are high in protein and fats which can make your bacteria and algae go crazy as they dissolve.

shinio
12-21-2008, 05:21 AM
This happens thrice in my brother's angelfish tank. My whole family was so excited when we saw the female laying the eggs; we never had any luck with breeding fish except live bearers :hmm3grin2orange: However, it wasn't fertilised and the eggs were eaten.

I think your angelfish could have laid the eggs. Females, when well-fed with high protein feed, produce lots of eggs. This could lead to her being filled with eggs, and the only way out is to lay them. So it is possible for her to lay eggs even without any mate.

Disappointing eh? But at least you know you're feeding her well and the water's good! :19:

As to whether the bump on angelfishes' head is indicative of its gender, many have believed that with most cichlids, males tend to have a bump. However, for angelfish, this may not be the case. There are other methods to identify the angelfish's gender, but most are not proven reliable yet. The best way to assure the angelfish gender is by observing the pair when they're spawning. That's a sure thing.

Echoing what Sharon has said, what "cats" are you refering to? Corydoras do lay their eggs on the vertical glass.

Regards,
shinio :ezpi_wink1:

Demi ^_^
12-21-2008, 07:47 AM
If you have Cory's.. My bet is on them ;)))

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Me, too. I don't see the angel spawning that close to the gravel, myself.