PDA

View Full Version : cherry barbs dying

lovleeko
12-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I would love to be able to post something fun and great. LOL Lately I swear!!! Actually I have had some good things happen lately. My big tank cycled and the gold barbs are no longer being a problem in their new tank. YAY.

Now, yesterday I was so busy I could have screamed. I fed the fish. They were quite hungry as I fasted them the day before. Well I broke a bottom feeder pellet in half and then broke the half in two and put the two pieces in. I went back shortly and the pieces were dissolving as the loaches and corys foraged else where in the tank. It is a ten gallon and I reminded my self to go back and check in five more minutes if they were eating the tabs so I could dig them out if not. Anyway,I forgot and like thirty minutes later I went to get them and they were gone. Ammonia was 0 yesterday and all of my readings were fine. I pretty much know these dissolved into the tank. So I did a 30 to 35 percent water change right after just to help out because the food got dissolved in the water. Well as I was cleaning there was a dead cherry barb. Keep in mind the reading were good then. Today I checked ammonia again, because of forgetting the tab and it is .25 :( When I observed the fish I noticed that another cherry barb is dying. I did a 50 percent water change.

Nothing on the body. They seem fine and then belly up. Is there a cherry barb thing I dont know about? Because I have had them mysteriously die on me before. This time a bit confused because of the ammonia today but the one yesterday could not have been from that. Thoughts???

And I want to say thanks everyone for all your support with all my probs lately. You guys are so helpful!!!

LORENZO
12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Well you say you had two die did anything else in the tank die? perhaps before your first reading today there might have been some trace of ammonia in tank. Did you add any new fish lately? These fish are usually very hardy. I have only one but i had more than that years ago. Did your ph spike somewhat? STrange if the fish did not die of old age. But there would be other dead fish if you had an ammonia spike. Ammonia is so deadly ... perhaps -it does happen -the fish was carrying a parasite. They are hardy those cherry barbs. NO bits on them or fungus?

lovleeko
12-19-2008, 09:29 PM
No nothing noticeable on their bodies. Everybody else in the tank seems fine. Not only have I not added anything but I took some things out of that tank. IDK. I'm stumped.

lovleeko
12-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Now I have only one cherry barb :( I guess I need to get him a couple of buddies when I go to the fish store tonight.

lovleeko
12-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Now I seem to be loosing a loach. He looks a bit crooked when he lays on the substrate :(

Nitrate 5

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

Ph 7.4

I dont know what could be going on :(