PDA

View Full Version : Starfish

deep_blu
12-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Anyone have any experience with star fish? In particular the Blue Starfish? I just got one & i luv him but he only comes out at night when the lights go out. I was doing some research & i believe as they grow they do eventually like the 'sunny' spots in the tank. just wondering if anyone else knew... :fish:

unleashed
12-19-2008, 09:02 AM
blue starfish as in blue linkia starfish?

These are notoriously difficult to care for and I hate to say it, but yours will most likely be dead in about 4-6 months - if that......

They are one of those species that need very large, well established tanks. It is still not fully understood as to what they feed on and where they get their nutrients from - a bit like mandarin fish, but much harder to keep

deep_blu
12-19-2008, 09:47 AM
that makes me sad. i did some reading up on it before i bought him & didn't find anything that suggested that it would be that hard to keep. o well, i'll have to perserveer. don't want to lose him - he's too pretty!

unleashed
12-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I think they are one of those animals which just do not adjust well to captivity....

deep_blu
12-19-2008, 11:47 AM
:( maybe i'll get lucky & be the exception to the rule!! otherwise if i see him becoming unhappy, there's lotsa guys in SA with big mature tanks who'd luv him i'm sure.

deep_blu
12-26-2008, 08:28 AM
well i was very sad the other day to find my beautiful starfish with 2 big wounds on 2 of his legs. i'm totally baffled as to wot caused it but i have an idea a rogue hermit crab (which has since been found guilty of crab murder & has been sumped) might be to blame. the next night wen i didn't see him out & about i admit i thought the worst. however, much to my delight, starfish was out & next night & believe or not in the 3 days or so, his legs had almost totally healed!! he even accept some musselfood i drop next to him!! HOORAY!!!