PDA

View Full Version : Pleco is eating sand!

chronic
12-19-2008, 05:10 AM
So after reading, sounds like its not a terrible thing. I read it can help move their digestive track along.

And they eat normally, swim and act merry.

But I there is sand substrate in their poo!

I thought maybe it was like a dog turd picking up grass or something, maybe some sand got stuck to it the first time i noticed. But he just took a dump infront of me with sand in it.

Obviously I can't stop him from eating sand... apparently its enjoyable. But is this something to worry about? I know my dog used to eat rocks...

cocoa_pleco
12-19-2008, 05:22 AM
i dont think its a harm, if he were eating large gravel that would block his digestive system and kill him, but sand is easily passed through.

mac
12-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi,
IMO I see no problem at all.

mac

LORENZO
12-19-2008, 10:59 AM
:grin34: give that poor pleco some nibbles he is probably hungry.. resorting to sand ha my dogs eat grass. Some nice sinking shrimp pellets surely he can't choose sand over such a delicacy!!!

Lady Hobbs
12-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Probably cleaning out his digestive track. Maybe he needs more ruffage.....like vegtables. Don't forget that birds eat small pieces of stones and gravel, as well. Could be he's just sifting thru the sand to get pieces of food.

chronic
12-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Smart fishy!
That puts my mind at ease.

johnpeezy
12-20-2008, 09:15 AM
I would be a little ocncerned if its a silica sand because it can be sharp.

LORENZO
12-20-2008, 10:48 AM
:fish: :fish: plecos usually feed at night. make sure you have some pellets put in the tank just before you go to bed. That way they can get the nutrients they need. Good feeders they are.