12-19-2008, 03:32 AM
My current Reptiles owned:

2 African clawed frogs
1 Albino clawed Frog
2 Tree Frogs
2 Florida Anoles
1 Cuban Knight Anoles
1 Baby Florida Red Belly turtle

I want to buy a Corn-Tail Lepard Gecko. It will be in a 10 Gallon screen top tank. I read they do not need light, but need high heat. They also do not need a water bowl.

Questions.

If they do not need light, Can I put on a UV light like 4 hours a day? Will that be enough?

Do they need high Heat? If so do you recomand a heating pad? I never used one in any of my other reptile tanks

Can Corn-Tail Lepard Geckos drink water?

Fishguy2727
12-19-2008, 03:47 AM
What do you mean corn-tail leopard gecko? Is that what the seller is calling it? Who is selling it?

Leopard geckos need:
-Heat: I use a pad on mine, you can use a pad, heat lamp, or ceramic heat emitter. I may need to add a heat lamp (combining them is fine).
-Water: All animals need water. Yes, they will drink out of a water dish (this is how every person I have ever talked to has done it, give it a water bowl).
-Space: A 10 is minimal, a 20long is better (the bigger the better)
-Shed/lay box: a plastic container (I use gladware) with a hole in the side for the leo to get in and out. Inside is paper towels, perlite, or vermiculite (perlite and vermiculite are used in gardening, so they will be at the hardware store) which is kept moist. The leo will go in here when it needs more humidity (about to shed).
-A calcium and Vitamin D3 supplement: I use Rep-Cal's Ultrafine Calcium/VitD3 powder. This goes on the crickets or mealworms (I feed mealworms). UVB light allows animals to produce their own VitD3, but if you provide it in the diet they don't need to get it from the light. Since leos don't bask in the sun the way water turtles or bearded dragons do (just two examples), they need the dietary form, the light form is useless for them.

I just started a thread on my new leo breeding project, you may want to check it out. Feel free to PM if you want as well.

Demjor19
12-20-2008, 02:33 AM
Fishguy pretty much hit it on the head.

Tolley
12-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Great post fishguy. Leo's definitly need a water bowl changed with fresh water everyday. Heat mat is the best way to go for heat so they can get 'belly heat'

freshwaterfishlover
12-20-2008, 12:49 PM
My plan:

Heating pad 24 hours a day and UV light like 4 hours a day. (they are nocturnal)

What I mean't buy a water bowl. My Anoles will not drink from a bowl only when I mist the tank. They say my Cuban Night Anoles wil drink from a bowl so I have a bowl in the tank, but I never seen it drink from it. I have a bowl in my Tree frog tank and I have seen it on the bowl. So you say Lepard Geckos need a bowl?

I feed my reptiles Crickets and Mealworms. I dose it with Herpcare Calcium.

MIstake on the name- Carrot-tail Lepard Gecko.

Fishguy2727
12-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Does that calcium have Vitamin D3?

The care for all the different types of leopard geckos is the same.

Any pics of the one you are thinking about?

freshwaterfishlover
12-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Can't figure out how to insert a picture. The Calcium I use has 20,000 IU D3

Paleofish
01-31-2009, 07:49 AM
I have never heard of a "Corn-Tail" Leopard Gecko. Are you talking about a leopard gecko that it's tail fail off and The tail grows back like a corn cob?