PDA

View Full Version : cycled in a week?

Miltonic
12-19-2008, 02:23 AM
Well since I had no other options I had to do a fish cycle and transfer all my fish from my little 16 gallon tank since it was suggested since one of my Angelfish was sick.

Right now iIhave 1 adult Angel lost the sick female unfortunately and 6 little ones that all look fine and are not having problems in my tank at all plus various tetras and loaches.

my ammonia levels and nitrite/nitrate have been low for the past week until now. The ammonia finally climbed to .25 but I was succesful lowering it back to 0 after little water change. what concerns me is my nitrite levels that have been climbing and right now are 1.0 and didnt lower itself down after the water change, I don't know if I should do another change since i did seed my new tank with a piece of driftwood and gravel from my old tank.

Im wondering if the higher Nitrite level is a sign that my cycle is almost done.

The other measurements are:

pH 7.4 it was lowered from 7.6 is the last few days

Ammonia 0 after it climbed to .25 then back down to 0 after water change

Nitrate 10 it was 20 this morning

doug z
12-19-2008, 04:38 AM
Im wondering if the higher Nitrite level is a sign that my cycle is almost done.

It means it's getting there.. :)

Keep up with the WC's to keep the ammonia levels down (daily, if necessary), and just keep at it till you get zero ammonia and zero nitrites, and 10+ for nitrates..

Should take about 3 to 6 weeks..

I'm surprised you have nitrate readings, though..

cichlidfever
12-19-2008, 04:52 AM
I wouldn't even do any water changes, just let the cycle run its course. Every time you take out ammonia, you are setting the development of the bio filter back. Is this the tank you moved the fish from? If there are no fish, just let it go. If there are fish, then don't feed them for a while and let the existing bacteria catch up and multiply. Eventually the ammonia will drop to 0 and then the nitrites as well. At this point it is safe to slowly add fish.

Miltonic
12-19-2008, 04:56 AM
This 45 gallon was set up a week ago but I had a 16 gallon tank running for 2 plus years with two Angelfish one of which is gone now (it got attacked by a fungus) :( I used a piece of driftwood and all the plants I had in there to seed my tank and I used other bacteria seeding chemicals like stress zyme to my tank. I guess that should explain the early nitrate readings or could it be that I harvested snow from the current snowfall we had to add to the tank to lower the pH.

on another note: I can't believe, Im actually cycling the tank with 7 Angelfish in it with no problems, Im not feeding them for a few days after today.

doug z
12-19-2008, 04:57 AM
I wouldn't even do any water changes, just let the cycle run its course.

Well, there's the rub..

.25 ammonia isn't BAD, but you'll for sure want to do a WC if it gets into the 1-2 levels, cycle be damned..

Not worth killing the fish to get it over with faster, in my opinion..

Here's a good thread on fishless cycle, and cycling with fish, btw..

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640

Miltonic
12-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Well, there's the rub..

.25 ammonia isn't BAD, but you'll for sure want to do a WC if it gets into the 1-2 levels, cycle be damned..

Not worth killing the fish to get it over with faster, in my opinion..

thats very good advice, i don't want my other 2 year Angelfish to go bye bye, I was very upset I couldn't rid the female of the disease she got.

doug z
12-19-2008, 05:03 AM
Read that link..

It's a good one..

Miltonic
12-19-2008, 05:06 AM
I already read it and followed pretty much what it says, I would of done the fishless cycle in this tank but since i was adviced to switch the Angels to a new tank asap because the 16 gallon was too small and my female was very sick at the time.

doug z
12-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Hmm..

Well, undoubtedly you were told they needed a bigger tank because of how big they get, and how much room they like to have, but they would have been ok for a month while you did your cycle..

Miltonic
12-19-2008, 05:18 AM
It's too late now :/

I've learnt a lot over this whole experience and i know better for next time and I'm glad my Angelfish are doing great in the new tank and the cycle is going well and no deaths have occurred besides my female Angel who was already sick.

I am planning to rebuild my 16 gallon tank over the next few days and start a fishless cycle with it and get fish suited for that size tank.

Here's a pic of the tank from a few days ago its not much different other than i added a Brazilian sword and couple other plants

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/miltonic/100_0810.jpg

doug z
12-19-2008, 05:22 AM
Plants are good ammonia sucker-uppers.. :)

Keep your finger's crossed, and your WC's frequent! LOL

Miltonic
12-19-2008, 05:29 AM
That's exactly why my tank is full of plants right now.

I will post test results for tomorrows test, well tomorrow lol

I am doing test results in the morning and at night to see the fluctuations and catch any rise ammonia quickly.

will also post pic of how the tank looks like now with the Brazilian sword my current favorite plant :)

Lady Hobbs
12-19-2008, 02:06 PM
It's not the low levels of ammonia so much that will get them (and nitrites) but the prolonged levels. Let's hope for a very fast cycle here.

Miltonic
12-19-2008, 02:15 PM
I just got done testing my water for the morning test and here are my parameters for today. (I seem to be purple blind and have trouble telling the purples apart for Nitrite levels) lol

pH 7.4 I want this to lower more :/ I will be harvesting more snow for this and currently have peat in the filter.

Ammonia .25 it climbed back up so I'm not feeding the fish today.

Nitrite .5 to 1.0 Im having a hard time with the shades of purple :/

Nitrate 10 no change there.

What do you guys recommend I should do? Small water change? let it be for today and retest tonight to see what happens? other?

Lady Hobbs
12-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Nope. Not today.

Miltonic
12-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks so I won't do a water change today.

Here's an updated pic of my tank one of the plants wasn't doing too well at first but now the new leaves are growing like crazy and the only yellow leaf will be left alone for now. I love how my big male Angel is in the center.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/miltonic/100_0832.jpg

You can see the Brazilian sword behind the big piece of driftwood. :D

Miltonic
12-20-2008, 03:20 AM
ok, just got back from work and tested the water again and Im so happy even though much didn't change except for the fact that Nitrite lowered down to .5 from 1.0 this morning. :D

pH 7.4 still :/

Ammonia .25

Nitrite .5 :D

Nitrate 10

the plants seriously grew a lot from this morning o.o

cichlidfever
12-20-2008, 03:41 AM
Lower nitrite is a great sign. I'm sure ammonia will follow soon.

Miltonic
12-20-2008, 04:00 AM
Thats why Im so happy, also the water cleared up since it was all blurry from the bacteria bloom.

fishbum
12-20-2008, 04:06 AM
[QUOTE=doug z]Plants are good ammonia sucker-uppers.. :)
Really?Since when?

Miltonic
12-20-2008, 02:34 PM
ok, Im turning this into my journal.

Todays morning water testing results are:

pH 7.4

Ammonia .25

Nitrite .25 huge reduction over the last few days

Nitrate 20 It figures that since nitrite is lower nitrate would go up

How long should i wait till my next water change? when can i start feeding my fish?

bushwhacker
12-20-2008, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=doug z]Plants are good ammonia sucker-uppers.. :)
Really?Since when?

from all i have read plants can actually use ammonia and nitrites easier than they can nitrates

Miltonic
12-21-2008, 04:07 AM
for anyone following my cycling here are my test results for tonight.

Ammonia .25 no change, it better lower to 0 tomorrow

Nitrite 0 :DD

Nitrate 10 it also dropped :)

Im glad the cycle is coming to an end and everything is coming together nicely.

doug z
12-21-2008, 05:40 AM
from all i have read plants can actually use ammonia and nitrites easier than they can nitrates

They use it all..

Im glad the cycle is coming to an end and everything is coming together nicely.

Good to hear!

Miltonic
12-22-2008, 02:51 AM
I couldn't post this morning and the test readings for this morning and now are almost the same so i won't post both, just tonight's.

Ammonia .25 It hasn't lowered in a few days.

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5 it has also been lowering a lot in the last few days.

I'm planing a water change tomorrow and the ammonia and all the reading ill probably drop to 0 and I will also start feeding my fish, they are eating the freaken plants now since they're so hungry. :(